ACF has been working in Zimbabwe since 2002 and over the years, has been a key humanitarian actor in the country. Since 2015, ACF has adopted an intervention strategy focused on localization and capacity development through partnerships, in particular with two national organizations, NAZ (Nutrition Action Zimbabwe) and AA (Africa AHEAD). ACF has increased the size of its mission in the course of last year to adequately respond to the rising humanitarian needs. The country is currently facing one of its worst food security crises in a decade, consecutive poor agricultural seasons, and the aftermath of Cyclone Idai, continued hyperinflation and now, the socio-economic consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic.
More than 4 million rural Zimbabweans are in need of urgent action. According to the latest IPC survey, 45% of the rural population is in Crisis or Emergency (Phase 3 and 4) while 29% is Stressed (IPC Phase 2) due to the prolonged lean season, the poor rainfall season, the low production from 2019 as well as the high food prices.
Additionally, the WFP estimates that 3.3 million urban Zimbabweans will be food insecure by the end of the year due to the effects of COVID-19 and drought.
Since the beginning of the year, ACF has focused on emergency programs to provide a multi-sector response to address the immediate needs of the most vulnerable populations. In collaboration with its implementing partners, ACF seeks to guarantee access to basic services and protect livelihoods from further deterioration, through emergency WASH and food security interventions.
ACF, in collaboration with NAZ and AA is pursuing its action primarily through the strengthening of urban and rural households’ cash reserves, with the goal of increasing resilience and reducing negative coping strategies for vulnerable households. ACF is also strengthening and supporting Infection Prevention and Control in health centers in response to the Covid-19 crisis
Duration: 12 Months
As a Country Director, you will have the following responsibilities:
• Strategic and operational planning, organizational performance and continued adaptation through 2021 and beyond: Lead the preparation, update and implementation of the Country strategy appropriate for the country and regional context and in line with the ACF vision and mission.
• Programming: Oversee mission’s programming to ensure the effective and efficient design, implementation and evaluation of ACF’s portfolio.
• External relations and partnerships: Develop and enhance relationships between the mission and donors’ representatives, civil society, private sector, government agencies and other organizations, acknowledging diversity as an asset of the humanitarian community, so that ACF can maximize its impact on malnutrition and its prevention.
• Security: Lead the preparation, regular updating and implementation of the security plan in line with ACF standards and procedures
• Management and Human Resources: Oversee the management and development of mission’s human resources and create a shared vision, among all staff, of ACF’s values and program’s aims and their role in achieving these.
• Finance and Logistics: Oversee and direct the appropriate mobilization, use and management of financial and logistic resources in the mission.
• Working relationships with HQ: a key actor between the field and HQ, the Country Director contributes to maintain good working relationships with HQ by complying with information demands and using HQ’s expertise to optimize the country’s strategy implementation.
You hold a Masters degree in development studies, management or related area.
You have more than 10 years of experience, including senior level experience for a large multi-sector program including international experience.
You show advanced leadership and management skills, and you are able to manage a multi-sectoral team in achieving humanitarian and development goals.
You are able to represent the country program at a national government and coordination level, including with media
You have demonstrated strategic development and implementation skills, including management and goals setting for team.
You are able to demonstrate knowledge of creating staff, management and program structures that ensure quality in program impact and achievement of goals.
You have strong networking and advocacy skills.
Specific conditions / salary: Competitive salary and vacation offering
ACF is committed to people with disabilities and actively fights against all forms of discrimination.
- Job City Harrare