Skateistan’s first school in Johannesburg South Africa opened in 2016, and includes three classrooms, an office space, skatepark and sports area. In 2021, Skateistan began working in Atlantis in partnership with public schools, and will continue to expand programming to new students in 2022. Each week we have over 1000 children (boys and girls ages 5-18) attending to be part of Skateistan’s innovative and award winning programs.
Skateistan is hiring! We are looking for an energetic and creative Country Programs Manager to join our team in Johannesburg.
The Country Programs Manager is a full-time contract paid position beginning January 2022, including monthly salary and benefits. The Country Programs Manager position will be located in the Johannesburg Skate School.
The Country Programs Manager is responsible for the support and oversight of the Skate Schools and projects/programs in a country, ensuring each has the necessary operational capacity to provide high quality programs to Skateistan students, as well as coordinating with the Skateistan head office/ international team. The Country Programs Manager will develop national strategies, enabling the organization to further refine country specific programming and national operations, to better meet the needs of the country’s children and youth. The Country Programs Manager will serve as the organization’s lead national representative, overseeing connections with partners, government ministries, donors, and stakeholders. Overall, the Country Programs Manager will play a key role in leading our team in South Africa and help our award winning organization continue to provide amazing opportunities to children every day!
Skateistan is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We encourage applications from people who identify as ethnic minorities, people with disabilities and individuals from groups that have been marginalized. Where candidates feel comfortable doing so, we encourage them to disclose this in their application.
- Manage and coordinate the daily running of skate schools to reach their student focused goals, including weekly meetings with key management staff; Programs Officers, Finance Officers, etc
- Oversee the implementation of Skateistan policies and quality control with assistance, ensuring that each school is operating in accordance with Skateistan’s mission and policies
- Make frequent school/project visits to offer support to staff and ensure standards in program delivery, staff training and financial management are being met
- Coordinate quarterly Quality Control Checklists and Programs Audits Manage national strategic planning, including the development of national programming goals and strategies and national budgets, incorporating input from national and international staff
- Maintain the highest level of transparency; report the misuse of any Skateistan assets as soon as possible
- Open, timely and honest communication with Skateistan head office; communicate any problems as soon as possible Write and submit weekly reports to the Skateistan head office;
- Engage with the Advisory Board and act as their main liaison to the organization
- Prepare monthly board reports Support in the selection of new national board members and actively network to build a pipeline of potential future board members
- Link national board members to national team members for support in key areas (Programs, Finance, Operations, HR)
- Oversee and manage expansion projects Participate in Skateistan Annual Strategic Planning Meetings, providing ideas and suggestions for future plans, incorporating voices from the national team
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organization’s Code of Conduct, mission, vision and values
- Create and ensure educational and sports programs are culturally relevant – according to Skateistan’s values and mission (ensure activities are creative and fun)
- Monitor and assess quality control of programs and students’ learning achievements and create changes where neccesary
- Oversee Skate School internal and external reporting
- Work with the Programs Director to create long-term staffing plans for Skate Schools
- Oversee national review process, including the six-month and annual staff reviews
- Support in the management of staff performance issues including meetings with staff to address poor performance and issuing staff conduct warnings or staff terminations
- Oversee national staff development and training plans, including liaising with national training programs
- Advocate for international training (both remote and in person) based upon national staff training needs Oversee national recruitment strategies based on the strategic plan
- Oversee national HR policy compliance and ensure HR manual is relevant and up to date with changes to national labor law
- Work closely with the Finance Officer to:
- Stay informed regarding levels of spending – particularly any large under or over spending against the approved budget
- Check compliance with the organization’s financial procedures
- Provide input on the annual budget preparation process
- Critically review monthly accounts and suggest potential cost efficiencies and improvements
Minimum Professional and Academic Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree in International Development, Management or a related field, or equivalent working experience
- 3 years of team management experience preferable in the NGO/Non-Profit sector
- A minimum of 3 years experience in managing of others in previous positions
- Experience in a youth focused NGO/Non-Profit, Public Administration, or Social Work sector
Competencies and Knowledge:
- High level of professionalism and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Fluency, both written and spoken, in English and local language at the professional level
- Computer skills using MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Working knowledge of governmental processes in the country of operations
- Ability to work both independently and closely with others as part of a team
- Keen communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills
- Excellent time management skills and resourcefulness with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours
- Organization competency: Plan, coordinate, manage multiple priorities, initiate processes, development structures, set rules, decision making.
Skateistan has zero tolerance for abuse, child abuse or sexual exploitation. We require every employee and volunteer to sign our child protection policy declaration and pass a thorough background check including but not limited to a police clearance certificate. All employees and volunteers shall act in accordance with the Skateistan Code of Conduct. As part of the Code of Conduct, the Employee commits to a zero tolerance policy of sexual exploitation and abuse, and to take measures to prevent and respond to sexual exploitation and abuse, in accordance with Skateistan’s Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse Policy.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your CV and Cover Letter (both essential) through the application link below:
- Job City Johannesburg