For the development cooperation programme in Mozambique and Southern Africa, Solidar Suisse is looking for an experienced and motivated
Country Representative Mozambique
Starting date: April 2023 or a later date by arrangement
***Duty Station:***Chimoio (Manica Province), Mozambique
***Reporting to:***Desk Officer Solidar Suisse HQ (Switzerland)
Background and purpose of the position
The Country Representative is responsible for the overall management of all Solidar Suisse supported projects in Mozambique, the proper use of funds and the supervision of all Solidar Suisse staff. The duty station is Chimoio (Manica Province) combined with occasional national as well as international (i.e. Southern African region) travel.
In Mozambique, Solidar Suisse is present since 1984. The thematic domains comprise the three areas of Economy & Work, Democracy & Civil Society, and Humanitarian Aid. The Country Representative has the task to further develop the Mozambique country program, and to proactively seize opportunities to strengthen the Southern African regional component of the program.
Main tasks and responsibilities
- Officially represent Solidar Suisse in Mozambique and in other Southern African countries where partner organizations are operational.
- Guide the overall planning, implementation, innovation, monitoring and evaluation of the development program and projects of Solidar Suisse in Mozambique and in Southern Africa.
- Implement the Strategy 2021-2024 of Solidar Suisse for Mozambique and Southern Africa, and cooperate in the elaboration of the next 4-year strategy (2025-2028), in line with the global Solidar Suisse Strategy.
- Guide and orientate all the operations of the Solidar Suisse Cooperation Office in Chimoio, the antenna Office in Maputo, and field offices in the central region.
- Appraise, plan, consolidate and/or renew local Solidar Suisse staff in order to guarantee a skilled and motivated team.
- Assess institutional capacity building needs of Solidar Suisse and of partner organizations and draw up the respective capacity building plans.
- Ensure that project reports, monitoring systems, logistic, administrative and financial requirements fulfil the standards of Solidar Suisse and donors.
- Secure continued and renewed registration of Solidar Suisse as international NGO in Mozambique.
- Monitor and identify funding opportunities via local / international Calls for Proposals and Tenders in line with the thematic focus of Solidar Suisse; engage proactively with potential donors in Mozambique and the Southern African region.
- Represent Solidar vis-à-vis partner organizations, Swiss Embassy, international donors, national and international NGOs and other relevant actors, and take proactive initiative to network.
- Solidar envisions a regional grow in activities in the Southern African region, first projects are currently located in South Africa, related to the Decent Work domain. The Country Representative seeks for opportunities and builds up a network for further collaboration.
- University degree or equivalent, preferably in (but not restricted to) social sciences, economics / business administration, regional planning, hydrology, agriculture, or related areas.
- At least 5 years of experience in a senior management position in country and/or regional programs in development cooperation and/or humanitarian aid in Mozambique and/or other African countries.
- Strong methodological know-how as well as thematic expertise in at least one of Solidar Suisse’s core domains Economy & Work, Democracy & Civil Society, and Humanitarian Aid.
- Solid experience in programme as well as project management.
- Distinctive analytical, management and coordination skills, and strong representation and negotiation skills.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills, experience in guiding individual staff and in facilitating teamwork.
- Proficiency in speaking and writing in Portuguese and English; strong ability to communicate clearly and concisely in these two languages; knowledge of local Mozambican languages (central region) is an asset.
- Readiness to combine work in Chimoio with travelling to Maputo and the provinces and districts in central Mozambique (Sofala, Manica, Tete, Zambezia) and to other Southern African countries.
- Proven ability to be flexible and work in pressurised environments.
- Empathy with Solidar’s vision, mission and values.
We offer an interesting and challenging assignment in a dynamic work environment in a national as well as international field of activities. Adequate salary and travel are provided for. If you are interested and meet our requirements, please submit your complete application file indicating at least two relevant reference persons to [email protected] (Subject “Country Representative Mozambique”) not later than February 28th, 2023.
Please take note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.