- Call for Application Number: IOM-CfA/0113/23
- Duty Station of the Consultancy: Home Based with travel to Ethiopia if required
- Duration of Consultancy: 35 Days
- Nature of the consultancy: Development of 5-year Plans of Action for the Implementation of the African Union Policies on the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants in Africa.
- Project Context and Scope:
The African Union adopted new policy documents on the prevention of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) and Smuggling of Migrants (SOM) in Africa. These two policy documents, if well implemented, will go a long way in supporting AU Member States and Regional Economic Communities (RECs) in combating issues of Trafficking in Persons and Smuggling of Migrants in Africa. The policies will provide a harmonized policy framework in the continent and will guide AU member States and RECs on relevant areas of collaboration and partnership as well.
It is against this background that the International Organization for Migration and the African Union Commission are seeking to develop 5-year Plans of Action for both the Policy on Prevention of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) in Africa and Prevention of Smuggling in Africa as directed by the Executive Council of the African Union. It is anticipated that these Action Plans will provide guidance on priorities for implementation of the Policy documents by Member States within the stipulated time. Further, the Plans of Action will also provide a monitoring and evaluation framework within the timelines to ascertain the extent to which members States have implemented both Policies.
5. Organizational Department / Unit to which the Consultant is contributing:
Special Liaison Office Addis Ababa (UNECA Unit)
6. Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Draft a 5 Year Plan of Action for the Implementation of the Policy on the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) for Member States validation.
- Draft a 5 Year Plan of Action for the implementation of the Policy on the prevention of Smuggling of Migrants in Africa (SOM) for Member States consideration.
- Draft a Review, Follow up and Reporting Framework for the 5 Year Plan of Action for the Implementation of the Policy on the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons
- Draft a Review, Follow up and Reporting Framework for the 5 Year Plan of Action for the implementation of the Policy on the prevention of Smuggling of Migrants in Africa (SOM)
7. Performance indicators for the evaluation of results
Deliverable A: Inception Report and work plan clearly showing how the assignment will be undertaken within the agreed timeline
Timeline (tentative): December 18 – 22, 2023
- Submit first draft of inception report – 20 December
- Feedback from AUC and IOM – 21 December
- Submit final inception report – 22 December
Deliverables B & C: Five (5) Year Plan of Action for the Implementation of the Policy on the Prevention of Trafficking in Persons (TIP) and Review and Reporting Framework
Timeline (tentative): December 22, 2023 – 6 January 2024
- Submit first Draft of plan of action – 26 December
- Feedback from AUC and IOM – 28 December
- Submit final TIP Implementation plan of Action – 2 January
- Submit first draft of Review and Reporting Framework – 4 January
- Feeback from AUC and IOM – 5 January
- Submit final review and reporting framework – 6 January
Deliverables D&E: Five (5) Year Plan of Action for the implementation of the Policy on the Prevention of Smuggling of Migrants in Africa (SOM) and Review and Reporting Framework)
Timeline (tentative): January 7 – 21 January 2024
- Submit first Draft of plan of action – 11 January
- Feedback from AUC and IOM – 13 January
- Submit final SoM Implementation plan of Action – 17 January
- Submit first draft of Review and Reporting Framework – 19 January
- Feedback from AUC and IOM – 20 January
- Final review and reporting framework – 21 January
Total: 35 Days
8. Education, Experience and/or skills required:
- At least a Master’s degree in the field of International Migration, International development, law, international relations, economics, or any related field.
- At least 10 years’ experience in similar assignment, preferably with the AU and or similar organization with demonstrable competence in developing strategic interventions on issues of TIP and SOM in Africa.
- Demonstratable knowledge of dealing with issues of irregular migration and transnational organized crime, especially trafficking in persons and Smuggling of Migrants in Africa.
- Experience in capacity building and technical support to AU Member States and RECs on issues of irregular migration, particularly on trafficking in persons and Smuggling of Migrants.
- Fluency in English and any other AU Language will be preferred.
- Solid writing and analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills.
- Ability to interact with senior officials (Government officials and representatives of multilateral and bilateral agencies).
- Experience in other similar assignments would be an added advantage.
9. Travel required:
Home Based with travel to Ethiopia, if required
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: maintain high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent, and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected, and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge, and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring, and motivational way.
Interested candidates are invited to submit applications through [email protected], on or before the closing date (7th Dec 2023), referring to the consultancy title and call for application number in the subject line of the email. Applicants are expected to submit the following:
- Letter of motivation describing the consultant’s suitability for the assignment;
- Up-to-date curriculum vitae with three professional referees and
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants who do not follow the required procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!