The African Initiatives for Relief and Development (AIRD) is a non-political, non-religious and non-profit making NGO with a presence in Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Liberia, Niger, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. AIRD’s mission is to enable the compassionate movement of those displaced by natural or man-made disasters to safety and providing them and their host communities with opportunities to build their lives and thrive for the long term. AIRD provides operational technical support, including but not limited to: transport, logistics, rehabilitation of infrastructures, sustainable livelihoods, WASH and environmental sustainability initiatives to promote resilience and empowerment for displaced people and their host communities. in partnership with relief and development organizations that focus on disaster-affected, poverty-infested and development oriented areas. AIRD delivers for and through partners including but not limited to UN Agencies, international and national donor organizations and governments.
AIRD is looking for a mission-oriented, strategic leader with experience managing finance and operations in a high-growth organization. Reporting to the CEO, the Finance and Administration Director will be responsible for overseeing overall organizational operations, including finance, human resources, administration, procurement, business planning, legal, security and information technology for the Head Office and Country Program Teams.
Internally, the Finance and Administration Director will also serve as a strategic and thought partner to the CEO and as a critical member of a small leadership senior management team (SMT) responsible for strategic decision making. The Finance and Administration Director will work closely with the CEO and the leadership senior management team to strengthen overall organizational capacity, impact, influence, and policy efforts.
The position holder must demonstrate leadership in oversight support, capacity building, high quality compliance, development of multi-year strategic and annual business plan, analytical and best forecasting, driving strategic transformation, including risk management, contributing to the growth strategy through competitive proposal budgeting, efficient business models and cost base, driving an ambitious transformation agenda-finance, HR, risk management, procurement, administration, systems development, including technology use, business process and improvements across the organization.
This position is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong finance and operations background to help strengthen and expand a program model with the potential to scale both in the Africa region and globally. While closely working with country programs, affiliates, and platform functions, s/he will serve as the primary resource for financial management, Administration, HR and Compliance.
· Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the CEO and SMT; monitor progress and keep SMT abreast of the organization’s financial status.
· Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
· Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring, including development and implementation of sound fiscal management practices and internal controls.
· Manage and oversee monthly accounting processes, including bookkeeping, payroll management, invoicing, and financial tracking of restricted grants. In this capacity, manage relationships with key external vendors, partners, and donors.
Implement a robust contracts management and financial management/ reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
· Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; develop financial reporting materials for all donor segments and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting.
· Coordinate, lead and timely complete the annual external audit process and report; liaise with external auditors and the finance committee of the board of directors.
· Provide support to the finance committee on the Board of Directors.
· Manage and oversee AIRD’s human resources (HR) functions, including: recruitment and hiring; benefits administration and oversight; new employee orientation, timely completion of annual staff performance assessment process and employee retention strategies.
· Develop AIRD’s human resources capacity as the organization scales, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, work force development, succession planning, training, and recruiting.
· Ensure that recruiting processes are consistent and streamlined.
· Establish and manage a comprehensive training program to educate employees regarding staff policies and procedures.
· Work closely and transparently with all external partners, including third-party vendors, consultants, partners, donors. Government and auditors.
· Oversee AIRD’s outsourced, cloud-based IT partner to ensure ongoing maintenance and quality of IT systems and infrastructure and to monitor performance against contract.
· Manage and track organizational needs for computer hardware and software, procuring new equipment as needed.
· Collaborate with CEO to ensure successful implementation, and ongoing management, of ERP system and platform for overall AIRD end to end business work flow management, including logistics, fundraising, program and finance.
· Oversee risk management and legal activities, including business insurance; memorandums of agreement; contracts; leases, and other legal documents and agreements.
· Ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations, including respective Government
Strategy and Business Development
· Work in partnership with CEO and SMT to implement new strategic initiatives in response to an increasing demand for AIRD’s services.
· Work in partnership with CEO and SMT to develop strategic plan for AIRD, including developing multiyear corporate strategy, country strategic plans, and annual business plan; Provide financial and operational input for all strategic planning processes.
· Partner with CEO and SMT to represent AIRD with key stakeholders, including funders, the media, government, academic institutions, community organizations, and volunteers.
Systems and Processes (ERP)–
- Contribute to the improvement of ERP system, tools, templates, and off-system applications.
- Lead on ERP business support training for country teams – this includes providing training and capacity.
- Take lead in building for country teams, policies, procedures, and support systems for instances.
· Develop and implement standard security protocols to ensure security of assets and staff.
· Oversee general office management functions to ensure effective, high quality work environment and efficient, daily operations of physical plant and equipment.
· Oversee all administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Strategic Thinking
- Results focus
- Change Leadership
- Team Leadership
- People Management
Key Result Areas
· Multiyear corporate strategy, Country Strategic Plan and annual business plans in regard to core roles and responsibilities
· Planning and implementation of HR, Finance and Administration strategies
· Timeliness, regularity, and accuracy in reporting
· Team development
· Employee/Talent development
· Directors, Financial Institutions, implementing partners, donors, Government, non-profit organizations
· Partners, Government authorities.
Qualifications, experience and skills
o ACCA/CPA or equivalent is a MUST
o Advanced Diploma or bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting and/or Human Resources Management and/or organizational development.
o Master of Business Administration (MBA), Accounting or Finance
o A minimum of 7-10 years of experience in financial management, of program with annual budget of at least $20 Million
o 7 years in a senior managerial role – with specific proof handling HR, Procurement, Finance and Administration processes
o High Proficiency in computer skills, financial software and reporting systems (QuickBooks, Microsoft Apps and access) communication packages and MS Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.
o Significant experience in financial monitoring, budgeting systems and internal controls.
o Strong analytical, communication and problem-solving skills is necessary along with capacity to
o identify and articulate potential problems and provide possible solutions in concise and clear manner.
o Experience in working with international development partners, international nongovernmental organization (INGOs) and donors is an asset.
o Experience working with ethnically diverse communities, nationalities and with projects implementing gender mainstreaming strategies.
o Demonstrate high level written and verbal communication skills in English and French
· Experience developing and managing strong financial and operational systems in a high-growth environment. We also seek an effective leader who can motivate, inspire, and develop a committed and diverse team. Key qualifications are enumerated below.
· Proven track record in organizational budgeting and financial management. Experience with and understanding of general accounting, grant tracking, payroll management, human resources, and general business systems and functions. Demonstrated success in developing and monitoring financial systems.
· Proven track record in developing and managing operational systems in a high growth organization; strong project management skills.
· Tireless attention to detail and ability to complete work with the highest level of accuracy, efficiency, and quality.
· Ability to work in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment. Strong work ethic, flexible, and able to multi-task. Ability to synthesize data, make decisions, and communicate priorities to staff. Demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities, executing multiple tasks, and achieving objectives.
· Unwavering focus on delivering high quality, data driven results. Committed to innovation, excellence, and entrepreneurship.
· Ability to think strategically and connect strong execution to broader strategic priorities and objectives.
· Exceptional capacity for managing and leading people from diverse backgrounds. Committed to investing in and developing staff and positioning them to succeed. Self-directed, positive, energetic, flexible, compassionate, collaborative, and team-oriented individual.
· Integrity, compassion, sense of humor, mission-oriented, and commitment to excellence.
The Director of Finance and Administration position is an outstanding opportunity to join a high-growth, mission-driven organization. AIRD offers a competitive compensation package including salary, vacation, and other benefits.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. In addition, it does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the employer and requirements of the position change.
AIRD is an Equal Opportunity employer. Personnel are chosen on the basis of ability without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, marital status in accordance with applicable law.
- Job City Uganda