Management Sciences for Health (MSH) is seeking a Director, Monitoring & Evaluation and Learning (MEL) for a potential 5-year USAID-funded Health Financing Activity in Mali. The purpose of the Activity is to advance progress towards Universal Health Coverage in Mali through expanding rural household enrollment in community-based health insurance (CBHI) schemes. The Activity will work with communities in Sikasso, Ségou, Mopti, Kayes, and Koulikoro regions to establish affordable CBHI schemes and build the capacity of existing CBHI schemes to sustainably attract and maintain additional enrollees.
This position is subject to project award and funding.
The Director, MEL will oversee the monitoring and evaluation and learning system for reporting progress and ensuring availability and use of quality data for adaptive management and maintain reporting procedures and guidelines in compliance with USAID systems. The Director, MEL will be expected to develop a strong monitoring and evaluation and learning system and plan consistent with the USAID results framework, coordinate the collection of data including conducting field visits for data validation, monitor the quality of data sets, contribute to the adaptive management of the program, oversee the development, maintenance and use of the project technical information management system, and document project performance against established outputs and indicators. The Director, MEL will also be responsible for building the capacity of the Government of Mali, and other stakeholders in the collection, utilization, and dissemination of data as well as ensuring that all monitoring and data collection activities are harmonized, and information is shared. The Director, MEL will also assist the Government of Mali and other stakeholders to monitor programs and assess the robustness of implementing organizations’ data collection and MEL mechanisms.
- Design and implement the Project’s MEL system, including the development of indicators, setting targets, monitoring project progress, ensuring timely data collection, writing quarterly and annual reports, and liaising with the project financial team to track the budget in relation to all project results and outcomes.
- Provide technical inputs to the technical team in order to assist in developing program goals and objectives as well as MEL tools and strategies and provide monitoring data to strategically inform the decisions on project performance and future direction to the project, for enhanced adaptive management.
- Oversee the development, maintenance and use of the project technical information management system, and its interoperability with relevant country health information management systems.
- Provide regularly updated reports on the status of implementation against the project goals and objectives to the Chief of Party, USAID and other program managers as required.
- Collaborate with the project team in identifying project activities, processes and/or outcomes that are worthy of documentation and design a system for capturing lessons learned and best practices.
- Adhere to MSH procurement integrity and institutional standards and procedures in all project management responsibilities.
- Advanced degree in a relevant discipline and at least 7 years of demonstrated experience designing and implementing monitoring and evaluation activities and special studies for complex programs in developing countries.
- Excellent command of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of issues related to community-based health insurance schemes preferred.
- Previous experience implementing and managing a rigorous MEL system including developing performance monitoring plans that track performance as sub-results/results and by funding stream.
- Knowledge of data collection protocols to ensure accurate data collection and verification is essential, as well as an ability to identify data trends and communicate this information to allow for changes in program implementation.
- MEL experience in the health sector desired, particularly in health systems strengthening.
- Operations research experience is desired.
- Experience leading and building the capacity of MEL officers, including remote, field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables is desired.
- Extraordinary organizational, verbal and written communication skills to manage project communications and disseminate project information are required.
- Excellent skills in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Experience with USAID programs/projects strongly preferred.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills in French and general professional proficiency in English required.
- Local candidates strongly preferred.
- Job City Mali