Médecins sans frontières (MSF) or Doctors Without Borders, is an international humanitarian-aid non-governmental organization (NGO) and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, best known for its projects in war-torn regions and developing countries facing endemic diseases. It was founded in France in response to the Biafran War. The organization is known in most of the world by its localized name or simply as MSF; in Canada and the United States the name Doctors Without Borders is commonly used. In 2015 over 30,000, mostly local, doctors, nurses and other medical professionals, logistical experts, water and sanitation engineers and administrators provided medical aid in over 70 countries. These doctors and nurses decided to volunteer their time to solve issues of world health. Private donors provide about 90% of the organization’s funding, while corporate donations provide the rest, giving MSF an annual budget of approximately US$750 million.
East-Africa Regional Recruitment Officer
JOB CONTEXT AND GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The Recruitment and Selection Officer is hierarchically under the head of the Nairobi unit and functionally under the Recruitment Coordinator in Barcelona. He/She will work closely together with the proximity management officer based in the Nairobi Unit
Within the general ambitions, the main objectives and sub-objectives of the positions are:
- Recruit in East Africa to feed into OCBA global field needs,
o Map and approach strategic recruitment sources in East Africa region.
o Attract and recruit HR in East Africa to answer to identified needs
- Recruit in East Africa on request of other operational centers and sections ,
o Support HR attraction strategies and recruitment/selection processes for International Staff (IS), based on the needs and requests placed by other OCs/SA.
- Recruit staff for Nairobi Unit
o Support with the recruitment/selection processes of the Nairobi Unit HQ staffing needs
MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Map and approach strategic recruitment sources in East Africa region,
- Researches sources of potential recruits, according to the priorities of the field/target set.
- Identify the most effective attraction and recruitment channels in the region
- Advertise in the most effective recruitment channels used in the region
- Identify effective regional channels and networks (medical websites, hospital) for profiles that are difficult to find for the international pool and ad-hoc needs.
- Implement HR attraction strategies in East Africa for International Staff (IS), based on the needs agreed with OCBA and other OCs and sections.
- Identify those profile the regional HR Market can provide and devote more important efforts to attract them
- Organize and conduct outreach activities to attract potential candidates to work with MSF;
- Travels across the East Africa region in order to execute recruitment strategy;
- Make public presentations regarding the organization and opportunities to work in the field at a variety of outreach opportunities in the assigned region;
- Provide information on MSF and opportunities for working in the field to potential applicants;
- Acts as a spokesperson for MSF in “marketing” the organization to potential recruits;
- Perform HR recruitment/selection processes for International Staff (IS), based on the needs agreed with OCBA and other OCs and sections.
- Carry out active recruitment actions to attract the needed profiles available in the region that fulfils the recruitment criteria defined by profile by OCBA, other OCs and SA.
- Filter the above mentioned candidates who have sent in their CV in accordance with the criteria
- Perform phone screenings and face-to-face interviews for selected candidates;
- Take part upon request of recruitment unit in the Assessment Centre if they are carried out in the region;
- Activate references and managing candidate feedback;
- Assess language and motivation of candidates as much as their Technical and Competency profiles,
- Provide candidates, positive and negative, with appropriate feedback;
- Provide successful candidate with necessary information and explanation of actions and requirements going forward;
- Manage candidate expectations in a realistic way;
- Manage paper and electronic files related to field workers applications and intake;
- Contribute to departmental planning;
- Create an Emergency pool to support with emergency intervention in the region
- Create a database of potential profiles that can be used in case of emergencies;
- Encourage the potential profiles with and to be available/mobile for Emergencies;
- Support emergency intervention run by OCBA and other OCs in the region;
- Carry out the recruitment/selection processes according to Nairobi Unit staffing needs.
- Carry out all recruitment actions for the Nairobi Unit staffing needs: Advertising, screening CV, short-listing candidates, and participating in selection interviews.
- Keep the data and reporting tools updated and intact
- Maintain HR database with relevant information on the status of the fieldworkers (positive or standby feedback)
- Maintain confidentiality of the database;
- Contribute to the annual reporting on the number of recruited staff and their status
- Provide reports upon requests;
- Replace the proximity management officer when needed
Education and experience:
• Qualification in Psychology, Human resource management or similar.
• Experience in selecting and recruiting, with emphasis on active candidate searching in African context
• High knowledge and understanding of African contexts and cultures.
• Fluent English
• Experience in the humanitarian sector. Ideally field experience with MSF.
• Use of IT tools and Web 2.0 software (LinkedIn, Facebook,etc.)
• Commitment to MSF’s Principles
• Cross-cultural Awareness
• Behavioral Flexibility
• Stress Management
• Analytical Thinking
• Results and Quality Orientation
• Service Orientation
• Planning and Organizing
• Teamwork and Cooperation
• Availability to travel to the various recruitment areas or countries and high mobility within/out of African continent.
• Location: Based in Nairobi, at the Médecins Sans Frontières-Spain Headquarters
• Full Time Job
• Annual gross salary of KSH. 3,328,598 + Secondary Benefits based on MSF OCBA Reward Policy
• Starting date: Beginning of August 2017
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CVs and Cover motivation letter indicating your availability under the
Reference of ‘EA recruitment officer’ to
Closing date: July 15th 2017
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position.
- Job City Nairobi