Title: Education and Training Advisor for Nutrition (Agriculture) Grade: E
Department: Ethiopia Country Office
Duration of Contract – 9 month
Summary Scope of Work
The Education and Training Advisor for Nutrition will provide technical support to the Feed the Future Ethiopia Growth through Nutrition Activity, a USAID’s 5-year, multi-sectoral nutrition and WASH project, aims to improve the nutritional status of women and under five children focusing on 1000 days (from conception to age two) in Ethiopia. The Education and Training Advisor will particularly be working on Intermediate Result 5.4 that focuses on strengthening nutrition technical expertise across sectors by strengthening the nutrition pre-service education and in-service training for Nutrition, agriculture and health professionals. Accordingly, s/he provides technical support to integrate nutrition sensitive agriculture competencies in to the curricula of agriculture cadres and ensure that their education follows competency based education approaches. S/he is also expected to maintain excellent working relationships with the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources (FMoANR), Federal Ministry of Livestock and Fishery, (FMoLF), Federal Ministry of Education (FMoE), Higher Education Relevance and Quality Agency (HERQA), TVET Agency, and project institutions and the respective regional bureaus.
- Position Reports To: Sr. Education & Training Advisor (GTN)
- Position Supervised: None
Responsibilities (include Leadership, Business Development, and Knowledge Management)
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above.
- Actively participate in the business development process.
- Actively participate in the knowledge sharing and transfer process.
- Make responsible decisions that result in both time and cost containment.
- Lead the development and implementation of work plan for agriculture institutions and collaborate with other technical advisors to implement common interventions and make adjustments to work plan based on lessons learned from the early project implementation;
- Lead the design and development of assessment, supervision and reporting tools for agriculture institutions to monitor implementation progress and inform planning;
- Maintain relationships with teaching institutions, practice sites, government authorities and other stakeholders, and advocate for integrating nutrition contents into agriculture university and TVET level academic programs;
- Model a proactive, problem-solving attitude which encourages teamwork and fosters high motivation and enthusiasm with colleagues;
- Promote Jhpiego’s overall program goal and objectives in helping the country achieve its nutrition and development goals;
Program Management & Implementation
- Participate in the development of project work plans, innovative implementation strategies, monitoring and evaluation tools
- Work with the FMoANR, FMoLF, FMoE, Federal TVET Agency and project supported institutions in integration of essential nutrition sensitive agriculture content in to agriculture curriculum at university and ATVET levels
- Provide technical assistance in the design and development of competency-based nutrition learning and assessment instruments/ lecture notes and manuals
- Facilitate competency-based training in key pedagogic areas like effective teaching skills, instructional design skills and nutrition technical updates
- Support institutions to apply effective approaches in the day-to-day teaching and assessment of students, operationalize curricular revisions and implementation of nutrition sensitive agriculture competencies
- Provide technical guidance in education quality improvement processes and support agriculture institutions to adapt HERQA’s education quality improvement tools to address gaps in quality of nutrition sensitive agriculture education
- Assess the ongoing needs of agriculture institutions in both technical assistance and material supplies and work to meet the needs either using project resources or by coordinating and leveraging support from other parties
- Facilitate forums and panel discussions on nutrition sensitive agriculture and technically assist to establish nutrition clubs as appropriate at project supported institutions
- Supervise and provide regular support, guidance and mentoring to institutions focal persons identified by the program
- Work jointly with the program officer and assistant to coordinate planning and scheduling of activities, guide the work of program assistant and ensure that logistical support is available for the smooth implementation of events and activities
- Monitor program outputs and results related to pre-service education and work closely with Program officer and M&E research advisor to ensure that these are documented and reported accurately. Compile additional documentation, such as case studies, best practices or special reports when indicated
- Write activity report and contribute to monthly update, semi-annual and annual report writing and revision
- Work with Program officer to plan for and facilitate timely cost share documentation for the project
- Identify and communicate potential opportunities for new business and new or leveraged funding sources;
- Contribute to proposal design and writing;
Knowledge Management and Sharing
- Promote communication and focus for creating a learning environment across Jhpiego and other Growth through Nutrition implementing partners on thematic issues and ensure the sharing of such information and knowledge across the program;
- Identify programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned over the course of implementation, and document these for internal use, and external audiences;
- Master’s degree or above in public health nutrition. First degree in agriculture related field is advantageous;
- Seven to Eight years of progressively responsible and directly relevant experience.
- Experience of implementing nutrition sensitive interventions as part of multi-sectorial nutrition approach to nutrition
- Minimum of 5 years of working in higher education system, with relevant teaching experience and an in-depth understanding of higher education system of the country;
- Experience in delivering competency based training
- Understanding of national nutrition program role of agriculture sector in nutrition and
- Understanding of education quality improvement issues and approaches in pre service education setting.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform;
- Effective communication in English and Amharic (written and oral) with strong presentation and writing skills;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with national and international staff and partners, and flexible;
- Computer Literacy (Word, Excel and power point);
- Ability to travel up to 50% of the time.
How to Apply
Applicant are expected to STRICTLY follow the below listed application procedures:
- Only qualified and interested applicants can submit application letter and well written curriculum vitae saved in one complied PDF format.
- Applicants are required to state their current basic salary in their application letter.
- Applicants must make sure their application document is saved by their full name in PDF format.
- CREDENTIALS OR WORK CERTIFICATES MUST NOT BE SUBMITTED.
- The job position being applied for must be explicitly stated in the application letter.
- Applicants must use this E-mail [email protected] to submit applications and make sure to state the job position title applying for in the subject line.
- Applications not fulfilling the requirements stated above will automatically be rejected.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package. The winning candidate is expected to start within short period after finalization of the recruitment process.
The deadline for applications is September 30, 2020.
- Job City Addis Ababa