The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The International Rescue Committee has been working in Somalia since 2006, providing essential services to conflict and disaster affected communities. The IRC has been operational in Central Somalia (Mudug and Galgadud regions) Nugal (Garowe), Bay (Baidoa) and Banadir (Mogadishu) implementing interventions in the areas of livelihood, WASH, Governance, and peacebuilding, GBV, Nutrition, education and health reaching out to more than 200,000 conflict and drought affected people.
Under the direct supervision of the Mogadishu, Baidoa and Galkayo Finance Officers and overall administrative support from Field Manager/Field Coordinator, the Finance assistant will support in various finance functions and other departments for IRC Offices. The Finance assistant will be responsible for accounting and documenting all financial documents for the Mogadishu office. The position will also be responsible for ensuring that all donor and IRC accounting procedures are followed, and budgets are adhered to.
- Assisting all aspects of day-to-day operations of finance department in field office.
- Assist in the implementation of Finance policies, procedures, and systems.
- Ensure compliance with IRC procedures and guidelines.
- Follow up bank account issues in a timely manner.
- Assist reviewing all PRs for proper coding and budget adequacy before approval.
- Review the financial parts of purchase orders, advance requests, liquidations, and requisitions to ensure in compliance with the plan and any applicable authorized policies.
- Assisting the Finance Officer in proper archiving of financial documents.
- Monitor burn rate for projects and offer timely advice to program team for prompt action and decision-making.
- Assisting the Finance Officer POs and Non- POs invoices by assuring the supporting documents are completed and attached to the system.
- Assisting in processing of payments in Finance department.
- Maintain petty cash and raise payment as per the demand.
- Perform the petty cash counts on weekly basis and ensure that they are filed.
- To promote team building and team capacity, Sharing knowledge and the best practices across the team.
- Prepare and submit monthly cash forecasts.
- Review all payment documents for proper and adequate back up.
- Prepare the monthly bank and cash reconciliation statement and submit for approval.
- Ensure all Income taxes are remitted as per statutory timelines and receipts collected.
- Assisting the Finance Officer monthly close out of filed level.
- Fulfill any additional tasks that may occasionally be delegated by your supervisor to support the accomplishment of organizational objectives.
- Serve as technical resource person for the accounting department when needed.
- Supervise all activities done daily in the Accounts department when needed.
- Act always in accordance with local law and standards of accounting practice.
- Review with the objective of gaining a clear understanding budget guideline and instructions.
- Review funding allocations to enable proper guidance to programs and proper coding.
- A Diploma or bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent is required.
- At least 2 years of finance and accounting experience in a similar post.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software such as enterprise resource planning system (ERP) and SAP is an added advantage.
- Ability to work independently in a rapidly changing professional environment with a view towards establishing administrative procedures and protocol that will ensure optimal functioning of the operation.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and time management skills.
- Strong analytical and financial interpretation skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work minimum supervision.
- Ability to work in and as a team.
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity.
- Knowledge of local Somali language.
- High degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- Previous experience within a humanitarian aid organization, in particular working in Emergency programs and participated high rapidly changing environment.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Good organizational skills.
- Competent to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Female Candidates are highly encouraged to apply.