CARE is an international NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering and displacement caused by drought, conflict, floods disease outbreaks among others. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals for the positions of Finance Assistant based Galkacy-Galmudug.
Reporting to the Senior Accounting Officer, the incumbent will manage the receipt and disbursement of funds and maintain an adequate filing system for all accounting/PAMODZI-related documentation
- ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Result Area 1 – Cheque Transactions
- Draw cheques and stamp ‘paid’ with the correct cheque number and date before forwarding documents to the SNR FO for review.
- Book an appointment with the signatories to have the cheques signed;
- Issue cheques to both staff and vendors. Proper recording of the cheque; number, vendor name, and the amount must be done before issuing the cheques;
- File receipts once received.
Result Area 2 – Petty Cash Disbursements and Maintenance
- Ensure signing authority approves all Travel Expense Reports (TERs), and payments with all charging details provided;
- Ensure all vouchers/invoices are accurate.
- Ensure restrict petty cash payments to the established amounts for each currency.
- Ensure reimbursements are at 75% of the float so that there is cash at any one time.
- Account for all advances on the same day and bring to the management’s attention any overdue advances by staff and perform cash reconciliation/count;
- Account for all petty cash vouchers and include the void vouchers.
Result Area 3 – Cash Management
- Receive cash and check payments and deposit within 24hrs;
- Ensure you issue receipts for all cash received each day;
- Ensure all payments are supported and properly coded to enable quick entry in People Soft system;
- Ensure the petty cash box is kept in the safe overnight separately from the other cash.
Result Area 4 – Filing
- Maintain an adequate filing system for all accounting/PAMODZI related documentation.
- File all coding slips in sequential order. On a weekly basis, ensure that all sequential numbers have been accounted for and filed accordingly.
- Identify all missing transaction numbers and ensure they are found and filed, and inform the supervisor when they cannot be traced for further follow-up;
- Retrieving documents from the archive for audit and special requests and recording the transactions on the document movement register.
- Checking the completeness of the scanned south central finance documents with correct VIDs and uploading to the cloud on monthly basis.
Result Area 5 – Accounts Payable Activities
- Receipts of invoices for payments, TERs, Liquidations, and advance requests
- Reviewing the documentation for completion
- Reviewing of Accounting Codes and Description
- Running the weekly reports showing Open Payments and Unapplied Vouchers.
- Amortizations every 5th day of the month
- Monthly payment, tracking, and filing of statutory deductions.
- Monitoring of accounts staff receivable monthly
- Seeking Internal approvals for vouchers to be closed
- Ensure that all accounting data is updated, reconciled, and fully supported.
Result area 5- Other duties assigned by your supervisor.
Experience, Education, and technical competencies:
- At least one year’s work experience in the field of finance/accounting/ in an NGOs
- University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration
- Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas)
Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV in one PDF document to [email protected] by referring to the job title “(Finance Assistant- Galkacyo)” as the subject line of the email, latest on Saturday, 3rd June 2023.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CARE is an equal opportunity employer promoting gender, equity, and diversity. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. CARE is Zero Tolerant organization for child abuse and sexual exploitation and abuse.