Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The Finance and Compliance Officer will be responsible for all aspects of financial and compliance management of the East Africa Youth Inclusion Project (EAYIP). S/he will work collaboratively with Tanzania and Uganda country team to ensure compliance with HPI internal policies and procedures as well as donor regulations. Under the direction of the Project Director, S/he will be responsible for financial and compliance functions including; perform and report on internal controls, financial monitoring and capacity building, budgeting, Donor reporting, subgrant financial management and support the Program Department. This position will provide timely reports and assistance to the Director of Finance and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Essential Character Traits:
Incumbent must possess high integrity and trustworthiness. Must be proactive, analytical and team-oriented. Ability to build and maintain strong work relationship skills including the ability to communicate well on all levels. Display initiative, flexibility, creativity, natural curiosity and a strong work ethic, persuasive and service-oriented, and demonstrate an array of relevant technical skills. Openness to diversity and different points of view.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (25%)
- Oversee Financial and compliance function of EAYIP.
- Provide EAYIP direction and guidance to ensure compliance to standards consistent with Donor Requirements and Heifer policies.
- Capacity building in compliance conducted for EAYIP team including carrying out necessary training of finance and non-finance staff to ensure compliance.
- Ensure effective, transparent use of EAYIP financial resources in compliance with Heifer and donor policies and procedures.
- Support the development of EAYIP annual quarterly and reforecast budgets.
- Review and approve project plans.
- Prepare quarterly consolidated Donor Reports and to ensure accuracy and completeness of the information.
- Create and manage effective action plan in response to EAYIP audit/support supervision discoveries and compliance violations.
- Interpret project variance and Activity performance reports to the project team, document & follow up on action points.
Management and Compliance (40%)
- Responsible for ensuring full compliance with donor requirements and Heifer policies and for providing management with all financial and compliance administrative aspects of the project while adhering to local laws and regulations.
- Oversee operations, financial and accounting systems controls and standards, ensuring that financial internal controls are sufficient.
- Review and evaluate the effectiveness and efficiency of project operations, adequacy of internal controls, reliability of financial reporting, compliance and applicable laws and the safeguard of project assets.
- Plan, perform and report on internal verifications to ensure that financial control, financial guidelines of donor requirements and other control procedures are in place and properly implemented and managed on the project.
- Carry out project risk assessment including partners, regular update of the risk register and follow up on the action points.
- Advise and monitor quality standards and conduct value for money assessments and make recommendations.
- Carry out investigations of alleged fraud, mismanagement, loss of assets or any other investigation as appropriate.
- Collaborate with the Procurement Officers to ensure all project procurement processes are in line with Donor’s & Heifer policies, procurement guidelines.
- Support the Regional Operational Manager in providing overall leadership and compliance oversight of procurement and subcontracts management.
- Verify partners’ systems to ensure that they understand and follow all appropriate procedures.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all tax liabilities as well as tax and duty exemptions the project may be eligible for as Mastercard Foundation implementing partner
Partnership and Engagement (30%)
- Support and maintaining proactive links with project partners to ensure compliance Donor requirements, Heifer policies and national laws.
- Collaborate with the partner Management/Financial/Compliance Officers on implementing and strengthening internal control systems and continuous process performance improvement.
- Monitor and, mentor subcontractors (implementing partners, hubs) in the requirements of proper project management in order to adhere to Mastercard Foundation and Heifer International programmatic goals and objectives; I. Provide support supervision and oversight function on subcontracts compliance to ensure that the overall project implementation complies with Mastercard Foundation and Heifer International regulations and policies;
- Work closely with the implementing partner finance/Grants team to ensure compliance by providing trainings and regular technical assistances and assist with budgetary and finance needs.
May perform other duties as assigned (5%)
- Performs other duties assigned by his/her supervisor or designee.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration majoring in Accounting or its recognized equivalent, and 5-6 year’s relevant experience.
- Full ACCA, CPA or any other relevant professional qualification is an advantage.
- MS/MA degree in Accounting, Finance and Business Administration or its recognized equivalent.,
- At least 6 years of experience at senior level in the field of financial, administrative, compliance and contract management, of which at least 5 years should be specifically supporting international donor-funded projects
- Experience in large grant management and reporting through Foundations, bilateral and multilateral donors.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Good analytical skills and the ability to verify information
- Knowledge of accounting and Statement of Financial Accounting Standards rules
- Strong skills in budgeting and reporting, and the ability to analyze and interpret financial reports
- Excellent management, communication and interpersonal skills
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate
- Computer proficient in word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail software, and knowledge of ERP Accounting software (e.g. MS Office Suite, Agresso)
- Strong organizational skills
- Skilled at strategic thinking and anticipating future developments and trends to incorporate them into organizational plans
- Strong communication abilities; Excellent English writing, speaking, and reading skills;
- Experience working in the non-governmental organization (NGO) environment in a similar position is an added advantage
- Coaching and training abilities
- Demonstrated management and supervisory experience of a relevant scope and scale with preference given to experience managing multiple field-based teams;
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports
- Proven team and customer care skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in several locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues both within and outside the country
- May require constant sitting and moving; working at a computer for extended periods
- Ability to work with sensitive information and maintain confidentiality
- Ability to perform multiple tasks with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work with a flexible schedule
- Willingness to travel both locally and internationally
- Job City Kampala