As South Africa’s largest public interest environmental law organisation, we use our expertise and commitment to fight for environmental justice and advance the right to a healthy environment for all. We take on the big environmental battles: cases in which we can empower local communities, have an enduring impact, set powerful precedents for other cases, and help improve policy and practice across the country.
Based in Cape Town, The Centre for Environmental Rights seeks to appoint a:FINANCE MANAGER
The Finance Manager will be responsible for CER’s strategic financial manangement, the incumbent must be a qualified Chartered Accountant.
Key responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to:
- Strategic financial management:
- Leading the financial well-being, sound financial management and financial resilience of the organisation
- Leading the annual budgeting process, including organisational and programme budgets
- Advising the Management Team on financial planning, forecasting, monitoring and reporting of the operating and capital budgets and financials; analysing and interpreting financial data for the purpose of determining financial performance and projecting financial probability; analysing budget patterns, programme expenditure.
- Advising the Board’s Finance & Audit Committee on the organisation’s financial sustainability, financial management and controls
- Financial procedures, systems and controls:
- Overseeing bookkeeping and financial controls in compliance with the organisation’s Finance Policy & Procedures, including expenditure of funds, and overseeing the preparation of monthly payroll and staff benefits. Applying accounting and auditing principles and techniques to ensure that data integrity, internal controls and audit trails are maintained throughout all transactions.
- Leading the organisation’s preparation for its annual external audit, and maintaining relationship with the organisation’s auditors
- Maintaining the organisation’s relationship with financial service providers
- Assisting internal business with procurement management
- Overseeing the financial aspects of the organisation’s staff benefits and maintaining relationship with external service providers
- Supporting the organisation’s resourcing through funder proposals and reporting.
- Risk and compliance:
- Overseeing relevant tax requirements of the organisation
- Overseeing compliance with the legislative and regulatory reporting requirements that have an impact on the organisation’s finance and governance
- Review risks environment and contribute to reporting on and formulation of effective mitigants
- Human resources and talent management:
- Building the finance team, and the developing the capacity of finance staff in financial management and reporting
- Leading the ongoing transformation, inclusion and diversity of the organisation’s financial and procurement system, including providing support to Black and women-owned suppliers and service providers
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance or its recognised equivalent
- 5-7 years relevant experience including minimum of 3 years in a supervisory role with in financial management and reporting
- CA(SA), ACCA, CIMA professional qualification is required
- Relevant software skills to include automated accounting software and database spreadsheets and Management Information Systems
- Demonstrated analytical skills in the compilation and interpretation of budgetary, financial and related management information
- Ability to conduct complex system analysis studies involving financially oriented applications
- Ability to effectively communicate financial and internal control issues to staff with little or no financial background
- Ability to handle financial and quantitative information with accuracy and precision; resourceful in gathering, verifying and analysing financial data
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and report
- Excellent attention to detail whilst able to stay abreast of impacts to the big picture
- Prioritisation of potentially competing resources and tasks
- Deadline driven
- High ethical code and demonstrable integrity
- Ability to connect dots and apply a systematic approach
- Job City Cape Town