Nascent is seeking a qualified candidate of Gender Officer on a five-year McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program (McGovern-Dole) funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) implemented in the Central and Southern Regions of Malawi. The five-year program is designed to improve the literacy of school-age children and to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices.
Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Type of Employment: Salaried, fulltime fix contract (for five years)
Reports to: Chief of Party Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership on gender programming under McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program (McGovern-Dole) to ensure equality, equity, male engagement and youth empowerment.
- Support Nascent’s business development process by ensuring that gender equity is a pivot of programing and new business development
- Provide technical assistance to the project management, technical personnel and partners to design, implement and assess gender elements in all Nascent Solutions activities across the program cycle.
- Build the capacity of project staff, partners, community members and government officials to design, implement and evaluate evidence-based gender interventions aimed at promoting gender including youth empowerment.
- Lead the development of a gender analysis and the development of a gender strategy for the project and support its implementation.
- Contribute to formative research to identify key gender constraints targeted by the project and ensure that the identified constraints/determinants are addressed based on the evidence from the field.
- Monitor, document and share project accomplishments, most significant stories on gender, challenges, and lessons learned among internal and external partners for policy dialogue, advocacy and future programming.
- Oversee quality assurance of the gender activities and advise on corrective interventions.
- Serve as constant liaison to and collaborate with a wide network of partners under McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program including Government, development partners, media, NGOs, school structures, public sector service providers, community leaders etc.
- Ensure timely production and consolidation of gender reports for submission to management
- Carry out any other tasks related to gender for the program as assigned by the supervisor.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in gender, and or related field that include that have gender in focus including gender in Agriculture, gender in education,
- At least 5-year experience in gender-related work
- Strong technical expertise in gender integration, women and youth empowerment, project designs and management.
- Evidence of good analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Evidence of good presentation/facilitation skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills and successful teamwork.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relations with stakeholders including the Ministry of Gender, Children, Disability and Social Welfare; Ministry of Health and Population; Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Water Development; Ministry of Education, Science and Technology etc.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Strong capacity in oral and written Chichewa is highly desirable.
- Accurate and thorough with great attention to detail.
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics.
- Proactive, resourceful, solution-oriented and results-oriented.
- Should be self-starter, creative, technologically competent, passionate, hardworking and self- motivated.
- Ability and willingness to travel locally a minimum of 25% of the time.
How to apply
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to [email protected]. Please include “Gender Officer” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Malawi nationals are highly encouraged to apply.
- Job City Malawi