ToRs for READO Head of Programme (HoPs)
Position: Head of Programs (HoPs)
Job site: Nairobi (50%) Frequently travel to Somalia (50% Mogadishu/Baidoa),
Classification: Professional Staff, International
Report to: Executive Director
Duration: 1 Year – Renewal
Founded in 2008, Rural Education and Agriculture Development Organization (READO) is a leading national non-governmental organization in Somalia, which implements emergency aid intervention and development programs. Independent, private and not-for-profit, READO employs a strict political and religious impartiality, operating according to humanitarian principles and shear transparency,
Since 2008, READO has been responding to the multiple shocks facing Somalia, through the implementation of humanitarian emergency response, recovery and development programs targeting mainly destitute agro-pastoral, riverine and IDP communities in Somalia with funding from various international partners. Currently, READO programs in Somalia focus on building capacity to respond to emergency outbreaks, as well as improving livelihoods/Food Security, Good Governance, WASH, Protection, Education, and Peacebuilding & Conflict resolution,
Under the direct supervision of the Executive Director, the Head of Programmes (HoPs) supervises all programs, with the specific responsibility for timely and efficient program implementation, and the quality of projects. By supervising the implementation of results-based Monitoring and Evaluation systems, the HoPs also guides the program strategy and development of future programs. Together with the Executive Director and Head of Units, the HoPs represents READO to donors and partners, ensuring that READOs is recognized for its field experience. H/she engages in medium and long-term planning and strategy activities, including the formulation of new proposals, and ensures the continuous quality improvement of programs and contributes to a positive working environment for program staff and, Fundraising, Coordination, Management, Donor Reporting, Monitoring and supervision of the project.
Main responsibilities Head of Programs (HoPs):
Provide overall management and supervision of the timely implementation and reporting on all planned activities of the project.
H/she is responsible for the strategy and coordination of READO’s programs in the Region ensuring that programs are designed and implemented to the highest standards and in line with READO’s strategy, policies and core values. The main tasks linked to this position are as follows:
1. Program Strategic Planning
· Provide leadership in the development of policies and strategies for coordination office ensuring that the strategic objectives are in line with READO’s strategies, objectives, and values;
· Ensure project design and proposal preparations for institutional and public funding by the READO International Code.
· Ensure that the READO profile and fact sheet are annually updated.
· Ensure compliance with READO’s Program’s monitoring tools such as Preppy by the program managers,
· Provide leadership in review and monitoring of the implementation of the Somalia coordination strategic objectives and plans;
· Responsible for foreseeing the budget in the new project’s development, in coordination with the Operations Manager and Executive Director to ensure its sustainability and monitoring the same during the project life.
2. Program Development and Management,
· Promote the identification of programs and projects in line with strategic plans of the READO office to support the actualization of the same;
· Offer critical advice on program trajectories and direction for future development in line with program strategies; review and update program strategies as necessary
· Actively contribute to the development of new proposals, within existing READO programs and in line with READO strategy,
· Network among donors and key stakeholders to actively seek funding opportunities, help increase the quality of proposals, understand donor priorities and ensure coordination
· Supervision of the sector coordinators/program managers and promote the integration of projects within programs and programs within the strategic plan (sector and geographical);
· Responsible for the overall program, and project supervision (keeping updated on the progress of implementation, meetings, and field visits) quality control and ensuring attainment of the requisite standards in line with international norms, READO and donor requirements;
· Ensure effective operational management of READO’s program through line management of Project/Programme Managers, M&E Department and Program Development Unit,
· Working in collaboration with Program managers, ensure that program implementation is managed closely through the development of structured work plans, indicator tracking, and monitoring plans,
· Ensure timely and high-quality reporting to donors
· Make sure that project developed meets high standards in terms of design, implementation, and M&E through proper Project Cycle Management,
· Undertake monitoring visits to program areas and provide feedback to managers and staff
· Prepare program budgets collaboratively with the program, Operations Manager, finance staff, and Executive Director,
· Track program expenditure through program review meetings using financial expenditure reports prepared by the finance department,
· Track program status through internally developed M&E systems, through regular review meetings,
· Any other assignments as delegated by the Executive Director,
3. Institutional Relationship
· Ensure that information collection, sharing and analysis (policies and strategies) are undertaken by sector coordinators and program managers;
· Establishing and monitoring of national and regional consortia to achieve READO’s strategic objectives and plans;
· Ensure that READO is represented in cluster sectors meeting, NGO Consortium program-related meetings, Partners meetings, and all relevant program-related meetings.
· Identification of potential resources and follow-up (financial and opportunities).
4. Human Resources Management
· Assist HR Manager for the process of recruitment, selection, monitoring and evaluation of the coordination and managerial staff for the programs;
· In consultation with the Executive Director, HR plan needs, identify capacity building needs for senior staff and ensure sufficient human resources for the projects to meet its objectives,
· Ensure that READO retains its capacity to respond to emergencies within its program areas and is responsible for managing any small-scale emergency responses within the program areas.
· Review project staff periodic performance evaluation to ensure coherence among teams.
5. Internal relations:
· The Head of Programmes (HoPs) reports directly to the Executive Director, who provides direction and general supervision. HoPs serves as a line manager for Project Managers, Technical Advisor, M&E Unit, Programme Development Unit, and works closely with Executive Directors.
6. External relations:
· In coordination with the Executive Directors attends meetings with donors, government partners, regional and local authorities; other agencies, clusters, coordination bodies, etc.
· Develop strong relations with existing and new donors based on READO’s record of accomplishment and mutual trust and respect.
· Identify and respond to relevant funding opportunities,
· At least 7-10 years of relevant field experience with humanitarian and development programs in complex emergency or post-conflict settings. Relevant Master’s degree or equivalent in the development sector International Development, program planning and management, Agriculture and Food Security, WASH and/or other relevant disciplines, Social Sciences, International Development Studies, Sustainable, and Natural Resource Management.
· Experience working with donors (OCHA/SHF, IOM, DFID, DANIDA, UNFAO, UNICEF, UNEP, UNDP,) international and national NGOs, and government agencies.
· Proven experience in programming related to food Security, Livelihoods, Agriculture/Resilience, Cash transfer Wash, DDR, Youth/Women Empowerment, WASH, Health/Nutrition, etc.
· Proven experience in project cycle, needs assessments, proposal development and donor reporting
· Experience in complex decision making and leading a multi-disciplinary, multi-national team under difficult circumstances,
· Knowledge and experience of Monitoring and Evaluation within projects is required.
· The highest level of expertise in representation and negotiation with governments and donors
· Demonstrated experience and understanding in program work relating to the Somalia contexts would be a distinct advantage,
HOW TO APPLY:
· All interested candidate must be sent All required documents, Cover Letter, Updated CVs, Certificates/Testimonials, and copy of your Passport are mandatory for this position, missing any of the above-documents your applications will not be considered. Email: [email protected]
· The closing date is on: 22th Dec 2019, READO is committed to giving a competitive based process. Any applications after the deadline will not be considered.
· Any Clarification kindly contact HR Manager, Email: [email protected]
- Job City Nairobi, Somalia