The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization with a mission to advance democracy worldwide, as a universal human aspiration and an enabler of sustainable development, through support to the building, strengthening and safeguarding of democratic political institutions and processes at all levels. We believe that democracy is a universal human aspiration and an experience that is pursued and lived in different ways around the world. Beyond the basic tenets of citizens’ choice and citizens’ political equality, the critical choices are best made and the quality of democracy is best gauged by those directly concerned: the citizens themselves. We systematically nurture an open and pluralistic understanding of democracy. This is respectful of the national context, and is in line with our non-prescriptive and non-intrusive approach, as well as with the priorities set by national actors. International IDEA produces, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, as well as on democracy as it relates to gender and inclusion, conflict sensitivity and sustainable development. It has its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden, and offices in the Africa and West Asia, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America and the Caribbean and Europe regions. International IDEA is a Permanent Observer to the United Nations.
International IDEA is managing a three-year EU funded programme to support Sudan’s transition to a democratic system of government, and to contribute to SDG 16 to promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
The programme seeks to support the democratic transition by supporting the establishment of mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building on the transition process; strengthen stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhance stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform that will facilitate credible electoral processes; and strengthen citizens awareness on the transitional process and broader democratic governance practices. It is anticipated that Sudan’s transition period and processes will provide an opportunity for Sudan’s transition to democracy.
The Head of Programme will be responsible for the vision, direction, and overall management and oversight and delivery of the programme, coordination of the country programme team and representing the programme at an institutional level with the Government of the Republic of Sudan and the EU Delegation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages, represents and accounts for International IDEA programme in Sudan, in line with International IDEA policies and procedures and responding to both EU and International IDEA needs;
- Promotes dialogue and consensus building at the highest levels and to provide and facilitate expert advice to political actors in Sudan;
- Manages the implementation of and reporting and accounting for the programme in Sudan;
- Ensures adherence to EU and International IDEA regulations in programme planning and implementation;
- Manages and directs the team of staff and consultants to ensure full delivery of agreed programme outputs while fostering a spirit of collaboration, work ethics and team cohesion;
- Provides timely and insightful reports on political developments in Sudan;
- Participates in dialogue processes, advocacy in the field of democracy, governance and social development;
- Manages the development of publications to support Sudans transition, and contextualises and updates exisiting International IDEA publications; develops simplified and shorter versions of these publications to be disseminated to a broader audience;
- Ensures consistent liaison, consultation and engagement with key programme partners and stakeholders;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation with those active in relevant fields, including practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community;
- Plans, facilitates, participates in and makes presentations at coordination meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Represents International IDEA externally as appropriate, including development and maintenance of positive and effective relations with the Government of Sudan, EU, International IDEA Member States, the UN, and other relevant donors and interlocutors;
- Is responsible for the overall programme risk management and actively manages risk in line with organisational policies and procedures;
- Ensures communication and cooperation with International IDEA’s global and crosscutting programmes, with the EU and other donors, and complies with EU visibility requirements;
- Ensures effective support for the convening of governance meetings including the Programme Advisory Committee and Technical Committee meetings.
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through post-graduate academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Leads assigned projects with authority throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, oversees publications and input from external providers;
- Manages and contributes to publications; is recognized as an expert in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Leads a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Anticipates internal challenges and issues and recommends process improvements;
- Integrates a rights based approach gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Director Africa and West Asia Region.
- Possesses thorough knowledge and understanding of relevant programmatic issues in Sudan and the complexities of democratic transisitons in the Africa Region;
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in one or more of the following areas: enhancing mechanisms for dialogue and consensus building in transition processes; strengthening stakeholders’ capacity for constitution building; enhancing stakeholders’ capacity for electoral reform, and/or strengthening citizens awareness on the transitional processes, combined with a broad knowledge of related disciplines within the function, in order to approach activities in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has thorough understanding of relevant programmatic issues in the key geographical zone where his/her work is implemented;
- Is active in the search for information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management;
- Understands and manages the budget and planning of his/her project(s).
- Leads a multi-talented team, sets team priorities and manages resources;
- Acts as a model and resource for colleagues.
- Will solve complex challenges, approach issues with new perspectives, and analyze situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Will also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises permanently to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles;
- Fluency in written and oral English and Arabic is required. Any other widely spoken language in an International IDEA priority region would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- Post-graduate qualifications in social science, political science, international law, international development, peace and development studies or related subjects;
- A minimum of ten (10) years relevant experience working in the field of electoral processes, constitution building or political participation and representation in Sudan and/or in the Africa Region, including substantial experience working in field positions;
- Minimum (5) years’ experience in people management positions, including senior level positions, with direct supervision over complex programmes and teams;
- Proven experience in engaging, cultivating and influencing stakeholders is essential;
- Previous experience of managing EU funded projects will be considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- International post
- Fixed term appointment until 31 December 2022
- Salary EUR 6 900 NET plus benefits.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 24:00 (CET) 19 April 2020.
- All applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality
- Job City Khartoum