We are seeking a Health Financing Lead for the anticipated USAID-funded Liberia Local Health Systems Solution (LHESS) Activity. The purpose of the USAID Liberia Local Health Systems Solution (LHESS) Activity is to support the Liberian Ministry of Health (MoH) in strengthening critical components of the health system, improve access and affordability to services, and to increase and improve patient outcomes at all levels. The anticipated program will be based in Monrovia, Liberia and provide support to all 15 counties of Liberia.
A major focus of this program includes support to meaningful reforms in the area of health financing including delivery of selected priorities in alignment with the MOH’s Liberia Health Equity Fund (LHEF) to ensure quality and equitable access to health services without undue financial burden to patients. This position will lead the health financing technical assistance support to the Ministry of Health (MoH) and will report to the Chief of Party. The Lead will work with the MOH to support efforts to increase financial risk protection and improve health sector financing in line with LHEF priorities, including development and testing of health financing reforms.
Position is contingent upon award and funding.
- Provide leadership for LHESS health financing objectives at the national level, and at the county-level for selected counites, including public financial management, performance-based financing, domestic resource mobilization and support for the introduction of LHEF legislation.
- Design and support implementation of health financing programs, grounded in health systems thinking and context.
- Lead analyses on health expenditure, including out-of-pocket spending, financial forecasting, benefit incidence analysis, resource tracking and cost-effectiveness.
- Produce high quality written reports and presentations, including technical documents, project status reports, policy briefs, and publications for conferences and journals.
- Design workshops and prepare workshop materials, relevant for public and private sector stakeholders.
- Create graphics and visualizations of quantitative and qualitative data.
- Collaboratively frame and write high-quality technical reports and policy briefing materials
- Collaborate with multiple stakeholders to contribute to all health sector related policy and regulatory reforms that will drive and accelerate implementation of the LHEF; this may include developments related to the national health financing strategy and plan.
- Design and roll out a monitoring framework, evidence generation plan and related tools to measure the progress and impact of the LHEF over time the life of the program.
- Design a sustainable capacity building model to ensure the Ministry of Health counterparts are directly engaged and evolve their health financing competencies and applied knowledge.
- Provide technical leadership for PBF design, implementation, monitoring and verification, with Ministry of Health counterparts.
- Drive the evidence use to inform related health financing policy development at the national level to help achieve key LHESS objectives related to public financial management, performance-based financing, and the Liberia Health Equity Fund (LHEF).
- Provide technical assistance for priority health financing areas to scale PBF and actively contribute to related health sector reforms, including sub-sector policies and strategies for integration of output-based financing approaches.
- Work with the LHESS program team members to develop collaborative learning and adaptation (CLA) to advance health financing knowledge management and evidence use, counterpart program learning, and to catalyze formative health systems development.
- Design and manage a capacity building model that ensures local counterparts within the PBF Unit build solid competencies within the priority areas of health financing and policy work.
- Graduate degree and 8+ years experience, preferably in health economics, health financing or related field;
- Relevant work experience in a management consulting firm, private health sector, bilateral or multilateral development agency, preferably with experience with multi-country research and program implementation;
- Relevant experience in Liberia or the region;
- Advanced proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint required; proficiency in statistical analysis packages (e.g. STATA) preferred;
- Exceptional analytical, research and problem-solving capabilities; experience developing country profiles, regional research papers, and guidance/toolkits on health financing, including oncology financing;
- Established track record of preparing high-quality technical reports, policy briefing materials, and presentations;
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work and country-level health systems and health financing issues;
- Tech savvy and skilled at visual display of data;
- Demonstrated poise and professionalism in engaging with external partners, clients, donors, and stakeholders;
- Fluency in English;
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas.
How To Apply:
- Job City Monrovia