- Africa, Me & UK Hub – Public Affairs Division
- Fixed Term – Full Time – 2 years
- Located in Rwanda
The Fred Hollows Foundation is one of Australia’s most respected and trusted international development organisations whose vision is to end avoidable blindness and ensure the work of Fred Hollows lives on.
The Foundation is seeking to hire a Health Financing Technical Manager who will be part of the senior management team to provide project management and technical assistance to health financing activities currently being implemented by The Fred Hollows Foundation in Rwanda and Kenya Country programs.
The Africa region is expanding focus on health financing and its role in increasing coverage of and financial protection in eye care. Two new projects in Rwanda and Kenya are leveraging national health financing and insurance schemes and using strategic purchasing (including different performance / results-based financing approaches) to increase access to and sustainability in eye health care services, particularly cataract surgery.
About the Position
Health Financing Technical Manager will provide project management and technical assistance to health financing activities currently being implemented by The Fred Hollows Foundation in Rwanda and Kenya Country programs. The health financing technical manager will provide ‘hands on’ program management and technical support to these and future projects and work with the program teams to deliver specific key pillars of the health systems that contribute to achievement of universal health coverage, one of the government’s priority areas.
Specific responsibilities include (not limited to)
- Provide direct management and technical direction to one or several components of the Health Financing projects in the Africa region.
- Design and implement one or more of the project’s technical aspects.
- Manage and monitor technical aspects of the program, and advise the Country Program teams on technical, budgetary, and management aspects of implementation.
- Provide research, analysis, and consultation on project planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- Collaborate with key partners (government, NGO, private sector, and donor partners); and Serve as subject matter expert.
About You! To be successful in this role, we are seeking someone with the following experience and skills.
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience, preferably in a government or donor-supported project environment in Africa.
- Minimum of master’s degree in or the equivalent in relevant field.
- Technical expertise in one or more of the following areas of managing health financing related projects: results-based financing, or contract-based financing.
- Excellent partnership development and collaboration skills, including with Ministries of Health, private sector stakeholders, and other donors at both senior and technical levels.
- Experience in developing and/or implementing result-based financing models in Africa.
- Project management experience dealing with various elements of a projects that involve various team members across the world.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills and ability to produce high quality work in a timely manner.
- English language fluency and excellent written and spoken communication skills.
- Experience with a mix of practical technical skills necessary for strengthening health systems at the national, and community levels.
- Excellent knowledge of national/county/community-level issues impacting health systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, initiative and good judgment.
- Demonstrated capacity to build and maintain productive working relationships with a wide network of partners and stakeholders.
Something extra to get our attention!
- Ability to provide technical support to Country teams and partners on lobbying/advocacy for integration of eye health into health financing initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and expanding networks to strengthen public health financing for eye health.
- Ability to effectively represent The Foundation at relevant high level working/technical forums at regional and global levels.
- Familiarity with the public sector’s mechanisms and policy/regulatory environment related to health financing in Africa.
- Experience implementing programs and projects under grants management processes and donor partners.
International and domestic travel required.
How to apply
How to apply and who to contact
Applications can be made by clicking apply, completing the online application form and attaching an up to date resume and letter of application.
To learn more about this position and life at The Fred Hollows Foundation please visit our Careers page.
Applications Close: 03 April 2020
To be eligible to apply for this position you must have the appropriate right to work in the country where the job is located.
The Fred Hollows Foundation is committed to protecting the rights of children in all areas where we work. Applicants are advised that The Foundation reserves the right to conduct police checks and other screening procedures to ensure we maintain and promote a child safe environment.
- Job City Rwanda