Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe (Johanniter) is working, in Kenya, with Africa Inland Church Health Ministries (AICHM) and other partners. The overall objective of this partnership in Kenya is to reduce mortality and morbidity by improving the health conditions and reducing vulnerability of people. Johanniter’s intervention aims to improve the provision of and access to quality health care, the support of improved nutrition for children under five (5), pregnant and lactating women and other vulnerable people, improve food security and strengthen resilience of vulnerable communities.
Johanniter wants to reinforce its communication done presenting the work done by partners and on key humanitarian issues affecting Kenya. Johaniniter also intends to gradually integrate and promote SBCC (Social Behavior Change and Communication) approach in all its programs.
To help doing so, Johanniter is looking to planning to provide opportunity to a total of three (3) interns in communications, during the year, increasing their skills and providing a first work experience while contributing to the organization in strengthening up its communication capacity. Each internship will have a duration of 4 months. We are currently looking at selecting interns for the first (now) and second round (around October-November).
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
While increasing skills, knwoledge and experience applied to the working environemnt:
- Produce communication materials (including text, photographic, videographic) on program activities, ongoing strategic initiatives, partners programs and particulalr strenghts, and on general humanitarian issues affecting Kenya but from a positive perspoective focusing particulalry on local, national and regional capacities and opportunities.
- Continue contributing to the development of the communication strategy that Johaniter can achieve in Kenya on communication.
- Iniitate to SBCC approaches and how can SBCC be integrated in ongoing and in-development projects.
On producing communication materials
- Develop communication material in text, photographic and video formats as required by the program, the partners, the activities, etc.
- Produce series of articles, blogs, etc. that can be used in-country and internationally
On short term strategy
- Participate actively in work session aiming at strengthening Johanniter’s and partners’ communication strategies.
- Develop an increased exposure for both Johanniter and the intern on the SBCC approach
- Help bringing projects and programs design to integrate relevant SBCC components.
How to apply:
The position is open to Kenyan citizen only.
Send a motivation letter describing your interest and motivation on communication in general and your strengths on the various media support. Define where you feel is your greatest strengths. Explain also, beside media and communication, your actual knowledge on SBCC (Social Behaviour Change and Communication) and your interest (or no interest) in the approach.
Candidates will be pre-selected for interviews based on the quality and creativity of this motivation letter. Be convincing, and do not hesitate to think outside the box. Clarity, capacity to quickly pass your points and expressing your personal vision will be key elements that will be assessed in this motivation letter. Focus on yourself and what you want to bring, not on generic things.
DO NOT SEND CERTIFICATES at this time.
Send three references with their contacts. Indicate their relationship with you and in which context do they know you.
These should be sent to: [email protected] indicating ‘Communication Intern’ and your name in the subject field.
Applications for the first round will be open until August 31st COB.
Applications for the second round will be open up to October 31st 2017 COB, but applications will review during that period and interviews may be conducted before October 31st.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
- Job City Nairobi