Position: MEAL OFFICER
Report to: Regional MEAL Manager
Organizational Unit: Head Office Cairo
Primary Location: Head office – Maadi – Cairo
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates – National Staff “Egyptian Only”
Type of contract: Local Fixed Term Contract – 7 month
Deadline: 6 December 2020
The position is pending final confirmation by the donor.
Handicap International is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.Handicap International is a not-for-profit organization with no religious or political affiliation. It operates as a federation made up of a network of associations that provide it with human and financial resources, manage its projects and implement its actions and social mission. For more details on the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/en/s/index.html
Duties & Responsibilities:
The incumbent of the post in particular will:Responsible for:
Contribute to the implementation and update of the M&E tools and necessary processes (25%)
• In coordination with the Regional MEAL Manager, contribute to the proposition of methodologies for measuring the projects impact
• Contribute to the implementation of tools, questionnaires and surveys that address program needs within MEAL plans
• Contribute to the ongoing improvement of monitoring tools and provision of lessons learned on the MEAL processes when necessary
• Support and promote initiatives to evaluate the quality of the interventions, develop required tools and capitalize on findings and recommendations
• Contribute in the design of M&E systems (MEAL Plans, Calendars, Indicator Matrices, etc.).
Lead different M&E activities (35%)
• Supervise the process of information collection from the field sites, through questionnaires,
observations and focus group discussions, focusing in particular on the following subjects:
➢ impact of HI activities on beneficiaries’ life conditions
➢ satisfaction of beneficiaries with regards to the activities implemented by HI
➢ potential complaints regarding HI intervention
➢ potential negative impacts of HI intervention on the community
➢ supervise the MEAL workers (if any) in the activities implementation at field level
• Properly use the data collection tools and templates, respect and apply the guidelines and
standard operating procedures.
• Ensure data collected is entered and cross-checked on a weekly basis, using either Excel or
• At the end of the data collection process, conduct final data cleaning and preliminary analysis
using Excel or Power Bi. Produce tables and graphics that will be used in the final monitoring
and evaluation report.
Lead the data analysis and reporting on the M&E activities and project results based on Regional
MEAL Manager requests (25%)
• Provide relevant analysis of the collected data and produce information on project’s outputs,
outcomes and impacts
• Generate comprehensive data for reporting on key variables
• Generate comprehensive quantitative data on activities using the different follow up tools
• Promptly report on the collected information, participate in the reports writing process and
collaborate with the MEAL Supervisor in preparing monitoring and evaluation reports.
• From data collection and meeting with beneficiaries, support the Regional MEAL Manager in
formulating recommendations to improve HI activities.
• Participate in sharing information collected, findings and recommendations to program teams
as often as required.
• Report on potential problems, challenges, or constraints faced in the field to the MEAL
• Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the other departments of the
• If needed, Maintain program records and regular archiving of all monitoring & evaluation
Contribute to HI Accountability and Learning (15%)
• With the Regional MEAL Manager and/or Accountability Officer support, participate in the
review of internal compliant mechanisms policy and make it operational;
• Under the supervision of the Regional MEAL Manager, contribute to the development of
simple mechanisms for the systematic collection of project updates, case studies and success
stories, by liaising with project’s teams and support the operationalization of the lessons
• Provide regular and record feedback (for beneficiaries and partners) through the Regional MEAL Manager or by delegation, related to planning, tools to be adopted and achievements to enhance project performance;
• Keep record of the lessons learnt and the recommendations provided (mainly by evaluators) and support the follow up as needed;
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field;
• At least 2 years of experience in the field of humanitarian assistance, including at least 2 years’ Monitoring and Evaluation experience, including in the design of monitoring tools, data collection, data analysis, visualization and report writing.
• Experience with HI and/or knowledge of its fields of action and approaches is considered an asset
• Understanding of the Accountability and learning protocols and processes
• Strong organizational and analytical skills
• Competent in the use of Microsoft Office Suite, including WORD, POWERPOINT and EXCEL
• Experience in working with vulnerable groups
• Experience in Power Bi.
• Ability to respect deadline and work under pressure
• Very positive personality, with strong orientation towards solutions
• Adaptability, flexibility
• Autonomy in work
• Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of Arabic and a very good knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
Salary range will be within 8,328 EGP to 10,959 EGP Gross
How to apply
Handicap International is an equal opportunity employer and
particularly welcomes applications from persons with disabilities
Interested candidates may please send their resume with cover letter to reach on or before
the above mentioned deadline
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please address all applications through email to:
- Job City Maadi - Cairo