The Media and Communication Manager will undertake, coordinate, and manage the design and implementation of SCI Niger media, internal and external communications activities office raise its profile both internally, within the SC network and externally. The post holder will be a member of the Advocacy, Campaigns and Communications team and support the Programme Operations and PDQ teams as required. S/He will ensure alignment with Save the Children’s branding policy, lead on the development of high-quality and impactful content, manage media relations and social media channels and help build staff and partners’ capacity on communications.
This is a demanding, internally and externally-facing role that requires excellent communication and interpersonal skills, very strong writing, editorial and graphic capabilities and the ability to maximise visibility and media opportunities and work to high quality standards.
The post-holder will manage Save the Children’s media work in Niger, harnessing the power of national and international media to help us achieve our advocacy, campaign, branding, programmatic and fundraising goals. Equally important will be raising awareness of humanitarian crises affecting children. The post holder also leads on the design and implementation of Media and Communications Strategy, with a special focus on enhancing the quality and frequency of internal and external communication products and media engagement.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of ACCM
Staff directly reporting to this post: Humanitarian Info Comms Officer; Communications Intern/s
Technical responsibility: writing, editing, communication, quality control and campaign
Budget responsibility: None
ANNUAL SALARY LEVEL: 14,998,044 CFA francs to 26,996,486 CFA francs “offer will be based on experience/internal equity and financial availability. SCI offers a competitive benefit package outside of salary.”
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Strengthen internal and external communications capacity
- Support programmes and partners by coordinating the collection, editing and dissemination of relevant communication materials and overseeing their production, as required. Advise and support on donor visibility requirements and policies, as required. This communication should be based on highlighting the situation of children and activities, successes and lessons learned from our programmes and campaigns.
- Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Niger Country Programme
- Plan, coordinate and manage strategic communications to increase engagement, visibility and voice for SCI’s programs
- Manage the production of high-quality communication products (including but not limited to infographics, factsheets, e-newsletter, brochures etc) and its consistent circulation to internal staff
- Manage the development of internal documents for the different internal communications platforms and ensure its compliance with SCI branding guidelines
- Establish and manage a systematic communications product resource center at the Country Office
- Regularly update SCI Niger country intranet; produce project and program specific factsheets, info packs, flyers, and posters
- Manage and regularly update SCI Niger corporate website with high quality design & contents
- Strengthening the way we communicate about our advocacy and campaign through producing series of campaign presentations, publications and communications products and other supporting innovative communication materials to be circulated internally and externally
- Regularly contribute stories and story ideas to the global and members’ corporate website to support fundraising efforts
- Provide communications capacity building trainings to internal staff
- Ensure that SCI Niger events, key national, regional and global events are communicated well
- Ensure that SCI Niger communication and visibility products are up to the expected standards
- Establish and manage SCI Niger content bank
- Manage the quality and efficiency of SCI Niger Social Media Channels and Workplace
- Ensure that Child Safeguarding procedures are strictly followed when children are involved in SCI media, internal and external communications activities
Strengthen Media Engagement, Organizational Visibility and Brand
- Develop and implement a media and communications strategy aligned to Save the Children’s national, regional and global advocacy, campaign and humanitarian priorities.
- Act as a focal point for media requests from Save the Children member organisations around the world, working closely with the Regional Media Manager and Communication Manager for West and Central Africa and Save the Children International’s Global Media Unit and Global Communication Unit.
- Work closely with the heads of thematic areas to develop key messages and promote programmatic goals in the media.
- Draft newsworthy media releases aligned to advocacy, campaigns and humanitarian priorities, and reactive statements as necessary.
- Develop core materials including Q&A, key messages, case studies, blogs, and talking points.
- Build and maintain relationships with key national and international journalists and media outlets.
- Arrange media briefings and act as a spokesperson when required.
- Coach and brief colleagues ahead of media interviews and build the communications capacity of staff in the Country Office for effective media engagement.
- Undertake effective media monitoring for the Country Office and maintain an up to date media database.
- Stay up to date on developments on media tools and trends, including social media, and train colleagues on these as needed.
- Build engagement and manage social media channels for Save the Children to enhance its voice, awareness and relevance.
- Work to ensure maximum visibility of Save the Children campaigns Campaign in the media in line with campaign objectives.
- Facilitate national and international media visits showcasing issues relevant to advocacy, campaigns and humanitarian priorities.
- Assist in the preparation of crisis communications plans, including risk mitigation strategies around sensitive issues affecting children, and recognise red lines for messaging.
- Plan, commission and carry out the collection of multimedia content for Save the Children media teams around the world as well as national and international media outlets.
- Ensure proper sign-off of all media materials by the Country Director, Head of ACCM, CSG Advisor and the Global/Regional Media Unit where appropriate.
- Does content management of the SCI Niger website and all social media channels.
Provide overall media and communications support to Advocacy and Campaigns Department
- Support the Head of Advocacy and Campaign and perform other duties and tasks as determined by the line manager
Internal: Head of ACCM and all members of ACCM team including Humanitarian Information and Communication Officer; Project/Program and Area Managers; and all Advocacy & Campaign Unit staff members; WCA ACCM staff, Regional Communication Manager; Regional Media Manager; Global Communications Unit; Global Media Unit;
External: Partner organisations, children, local communities, policy makers, media and communications firms
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Graduated with Master of Arts (MA) Degree in Media, Mass Communication or Print Journalism from a recognized higher educational institution, with a minimum of three years managerial work experience
- Commitment to SCI’s mission, values and approach
- Interest in child rights, public policy, research and development issues
- Proficient computer skills required, especially the ability to work comfortably in Adobe InDesign CS, Adobe Photoshop, Publisher, PPT, and expert in other communications and MS office package, layout and design software, applications
- Ability to work with people of different culture
- Excellent interpersonal skills end ability to work successfully in team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to assess priorities and handle multiple tasks simultaneously to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality
- Excellent organizational, communication, publications and presentation skills
- Ability to work and manage various projects in steam salting with limited supervision
- Ability to work well with people at all levels
- Strong initiative and self-motivation required, with a commitment to teamwork and effectiveness within a dynamic integrated project
- Ability and willingness to travel to project’s zones when required
- Fluency in English
- Demonstrated expert level ability in policy research, writing and communication skills
Nature of the contract: National Only
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Job City Niger