Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identify, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The ADAP Accelerate Dairy Production and Productivity (ADAP) Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Assistant under the technical guidance of the Country Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Manager, will provide MLE support to the project and, as such, work in close collaboration with respective ADAP partners and their M&E leads. S/he will be responsible for assisting in the creation of a strong effective link between the project activities, MLE activities and for proposing appropriate intervention-level data approaches and for supporting the design of data collection, analysis and dissemination strategies and tools. S/he will also support the project manager to collect data information that will stimulate sector investments by processors, service providers and farmers in dairy sector. S/he will work to ensure a culture of data use among project staff and respond to their data needs. To this end, he/she will provide technical assistance; advice and training on key aspects of MLE to shape the overall ADAP MLE framework and ensure that key outcomes are properly monitored/tracked, documented. She/he will also work with the team to build capacity on the use of data and indicators; analyze monthly data, and support training in quality assurance methods. The MLE Assistant will lead the process working with POs in strengthening the PO Information System, prepare periodic reports and promote programmatic learning.
Essential Character Traits:
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, analytical ability, interpersonal skills, proactive problem-solving.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLES
Program Effectiveness (50%)
- Support the Implementation of MLE framework and plan in ADAP at project level.
- Provide technical support for implementing MLE plan to ensure meaningful information systems are in place to capture data to feed into management decisions.
- Recommend steps for strategic adjustments and steps and provide follow up to implementation based on data captured through MLE framework and plan.
- Responsible to ensure quality data is captured through the MLE system and incorporating adjustments as needed.
- Responsible for building MLE capacity.
- Coordinate MLE activities between researches, evaluators and internal MLE staff.
- Conduct data analysis to meet MLE plan.
- Play an active role in the development of a comprehensive M&E plan for ADAP including development of approaches, process, tools, schedules, among others.
- Prepare and consolidate reports as per donor requirements and MLE plan as guided by the MLE manager.
- Develop annual monitoring and result measurement plans for interventions with private sector actors within their dairy sector.
- III. Maintain data management system for the project.
- Coordinate implementation of M&E activities as described by the M&E plan including assisting the Project Manager in preparing and disseminating relevant reports.
- Collaborate with the MLE Manager in designing tools required as per MLE plan such as survey instruments, tracking sheets, FGD guide etc.
- In collaboration with the MLE Manager, organize periodic evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving partners.
- In collaboration with different units, periodically provide quality assurance for data collected and reports produced.
- Collect and compile the case stories and success stories related to program activities as appropriate.
- Support the program team to incorporate key learnings in the upcoming plan and program.
Accountable for knowledge and Information Management and Reporting at country Office level. (30%)
- Document key outcomes, based on data collected
- Coordinate knowledge sharing and reflection activities to identify lessons through implementation practices and data.
- Develop knowledge management activities, identify lessons and other information that could be shared with partners and key stakeholders.
- Document the learning and best practices in the ADAP.
- Provides data deemed important for concept paper or proposal development
- Create and maintain an updated database for the farmers at project and PO levels
Management and Compliance (10%)
- Support the overall leadership in developing and maintaining project database at project level.
- Coordinate periodic project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Project Manager in preparing and disseminating relevant reports.
- Maintain a project database as per the MLE framework.
- Prepare and consolidate monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports to the various project stakeholders.
- Closely review data and indicators progress to ensure that corrective recommendations are provided on a timely basis.
- Maintains accurate project data/information in both electronic and hard copy files.
Partnership and Engagement (10%)
- Accountable for knowledge management, learning and sharing
- Provide MLE technical support to partners and stakeholders
- Provide statistical information for use by partners and HPI.
- Attend relevant government and partners’ meetings to further develop collaboration and to obtain new methods and ideas in responsibility.
- Prepare presentations to foster strong MLE practices
- Participate in the documentation and dissemination of lessons learned and best practice.
May perform other job-related duties as assigned. May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree in, Economics and/or Statistics, Social Research, Development studies or an equivalent with an academic focus on Monitoring and Evaluation plus (2) years of direct relevant experience in MLE for projects.
- Solid MLE experience, gained in working in the development context
- Demonstrated social research experience
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the country
- Proven experience in staff and partner training
- Experience in developing field data collection tools
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection
- Experience in developing MLE plans
- Demonstrated strong experience in data analysis
- Report writing
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions-oriented
- Demonstrated effective organizing and planning skills;
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to make effective oral presentations;
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate
- Knowledge of youth workforce development issues, especially in rural communities of the East Africa region
- Good understanding of the different value chains within the agricultural sector
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation
- Knowledge of the DCED standards in measuring results
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred) and Internet
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written
- m) Ability to work in a team
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model.
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness and ability to incorporate innovative solutions.
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MLE concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels.
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff.
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone and electronic communication with colleagues and the public.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout ADAP project sites
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions.
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining confidentiality.
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
- Job City Kampala