FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology – creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories.
Job ID: 18778
Location: Dikwa, Banki Borno
- Northeast Nigeria is currently facing a growing humanitarian crisis with a vast number of Internally Displaced Persons in need of emergency assistance.
- These IDPs are living among host communities, lacking access to livelihoods and resources, ultimately leading to unprecedented levels of malnutrition and food insecurity.
- FHI 360 has been working in Nigeria for over 30 years and is now expanding activities in Borno state to respond to the IDP crisis.
- FHI 360 is expanding its expertise by responding to this humanitarian crisis through integrated WASH, Health and Protection interventions.
Job Summary / Responsibilities
- Define program implementation modalities (targeting criteria, mobilization modalities, local partnerships, monitoring systems, staff schedules, etc.) Oversee all staff for the nutrition project including regular performance evaluations, management, general well-being, job descriptions, work schedules, discipline, etc. in co-ordination with the nutrition and primary health care coordinators. Coordination and participation in Nutrition Cluster, and nutrition assessment/ survey groups and filing of meeting minutes.
- Monitor stocks physically at LGAs level, check for expiry date, quality and quantity.
Effective implementation of program activities:
- Define program implementation modalities (targeting criteria, mobilization modalities, local partnerships, monitoring systems, staff schedules, etc.)
- Plan and deliver trainings with support capacity building team on CMAM and IYCF
- Ensure the implementation of activities defined by the Program Manager in coordination with the Logistics and Administration departments
- Ensure sound monitoring of program activities
- Ensure that logistics and administrative arrangements are made timely with the concerned departments.
- Ensure provision of equipment, materials, supplies and drugs as necessary
- Assess the needs of identified locations with local authorities and health personnel
- Ensure timely submission of all reports from nutrition department
- Develop plan of work for OTP, SC and IYCF activities according to the expected progress of the project
- Evaluate and update program needs (HR, financing, logistics)
- Liaise with concerned government authorities and ensure the programme strategy, objectives and activities are understood and agreed and appropriate communication channel is in place
- Involve in the preparation of key IYCF and health messages in reference to the existing health and nutrition education materials
- Organize monthly meetings with the team and report the outcome to the head of the programme along with proposed action plan
- Ensuring IYCF education is disseminated to the target beneficiaries
- Ensuring adherence to and respect of current treatment protocols
- Analysing nutrition situation and prevailing trends
- Document lessons learned and best practices at the program/District level
- Supervise the daily and monthly reporting submitted by field the teams
- Provide technical support to IYCF, OTP and SC team when required
- Oversee all staff for the nutrition project including regular performance evaluations, management, general well-being, job descriptions, work schedules, discipline, etc. in co-ordination with the nutrition and primary health care coordinators
- Provide technical support to staff and promote learning based on project objectives and activities and ensure documentation and sharing of learning with other sectors and programs
- Ensure that staff responsibilities are clearly defined and understood, with performance objectives set against work plans and regularly monitored
- Organize regular evaluation meetings of team members
- Identify training needs, and supervise the technical training of national nutrition staff members
Representation and Coordination:
- Coordination and participation in Nutrition Cluster, and nutrition assessment/ survey groups and filing of meeting minutes
- Support, and actively participate the sub-Nutrition Cluster group meetings at district level constructively
- Development of network with other actors in the area as well as community leaders/representatives
- Represent FHI 360 nutrition programs when and if necessary vis-a-vis donors during their field visits
- Identify structures where stakeholders are willing and motivated to integrate CMAM into the health system
- Ensure communication and coordination between the SC, OTP, and IYCF team in the frame of a CMAM approach
- Sensitize main stakeholders on CMAM and need for support and commitment for long term access to life saving activities for children; at this stage the overall entry/exit strategy can be shared emphasizing the vital role of the stakeholders to make this happen
Nutrition Supplies, Equipment and Stock Management:
- Monitor stocks physically at LGAs level, check for expiry date, quality and quantity
- Checking that all the supplies are listed in the stock register, bin cards are visible.
- Participate in the follow-up of supplies consumption and orders
- Ensuring that stock levels are sufficient for the functioning of SC and OTP (weekly, monthly or quarterly)
- Make monthly physical inventory of all nutrition supplies
- Raising relevant requests for supplies and stock well prior in time to prevent exhaustion of stocks and supplies for interventions.
- B.Nurse, Nutritionist or MBBS/MD/PHD.
- Masters in public health or nutrition or related subject is desirable.
- Second language skills are desirable.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years field experience in nutrition program in a relief NGO, ideally in a similar role.
- Minimum 1 year in a position of requiring managing a team of expatriates is desirable.
- Fluent in English and Hausa
- Job City Maiduguri