Position :Programme Officer
Reports to: Programme Manager – Community Development
Location :Nakuru with frequent travel to Baringo
Under the direction of the Community Development Programme Manager, provide oversight on projects operations and in the preparation of strategic plans and budgets. Ensure improved performance through supervision and risk management. Ensure effective Planning, developing, implementing and reviewing project plans, policies and procedures to promote secure, effective, efficient and sustainable projects activities.
The objective of the Community Development Programme is to empower communities, economically and socially, so they have access to essential services, including quality education, health care, care and protection services and so their children can live in a supportive and safe environment and be educated. The position holder will oversee 2 projects; community health and women empowerment.
The objective of the Community Health Project is improved health of community members, through quality community-based health care services at well-resourced supported partner health facilities.
The objective of women empowerment project is to increase household income among women in Nakuru, Baringo and neighbouring counties so they can become economically and socially secure through livelihood diversity, access to finance and capacity development.
The incumbent will interact with the relevant line ministries, the facilities in charge, community health volunteers and health facilities management committees, women groups, community leaders and other stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
Within the context outlined above, the PO, will be responsible for effective management of all routine operations of the projects, particularly in relation to activities implementation, procurement, contracts and financial management.
- Assist the programme manager in ensuring timely, efficient and effective delivery of project activities .
- Keep track of all expenditures of the projects, providing the manager with monthly and quarterly analysis of expenditure against budget
- Ensure that an effective system is in place whereby partner facilities receive medicines and other supplies in a timely manner.
- Help the programme manager in preparing and managing contracts/agreements with MOH, Women groups and individuals and other agencies as and when they become involved with the projects
- Contribute to the strengthening of the health services management capacities of the partner facilities, particularly in reporting and sustainability.
- Prepare and support the implementation of the quarterly work plan and budget of the community health and women empowerment projects.
- With support of the M&E Officer, monitor the progress of activities and the achievement of results in line with the M&E log frames
- Contribute to the preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports, with special focus on the documentation of results and their relevance to the yearly work plan
- Collaborate with all departments and field office as needed, and work closely with other stakeholders to achieve the goals of the programme.
- Provide necessary coaching and mentoring to the project officers , on the basis of their development needs as well as the requirements of the organisation.
- Undertake any other assignment given by the programme manager
Measurable Outputs and Performance Indicators
• System in place for planning, and tracking the progress of, all administrative and financial processes.
• Budgets are prepared and analyzed on a monthly/quarterly basis.
• All partner health facilities are regularly supplied with medicines and other medical supplies to run smoothly.
• Women groups and individuals women empowerment project clients are engaged in personal and business development.
• The micro finance component is well management through proper application and credit management, ensuring minimal arrears.
• Partner facilities, sub county health coordinators have necessary information—particularly pertaining to activities implementation for smooth implementation of the health programme.
• All the work plans, budgets and reports of the projects are adequate and submitted on time
• Results are delivered according to plan, and within budget
• Demonstrates commitment to STC’s mission, vision and values
• Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
• Knowledge management and learning
• Shares knowledge and experience
• Actively works towards continuing personal learning, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired knowledge and skills
• Development and operational effectiveness
• Ability to effectively coordinate with partners in and outside the STC organization
• Ability to organize health services with increased access, availability of, quality health care to the population in remote places.
• Good knowledge of health care operating systems
• Good knowledge of group dynamics
• Good knowledge of micro finance management.
Leadership and Self-Management
• Focuses on result for the clients and responds positively to feedback
• Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
• Remains calm and in control even under pressure
• Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
• Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills
• Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
Required Skills and Experience
A degree in health science, public health, community development or any other relevant discipline
• At least 5 years of relevant professional experience in a relevant field
• Experience in implementation of community development activities
• Knowledge of NGO operational policies/procedures desirable
• Experience in working with local governments/NGOs desirable
• Demonstrated capacity to organize the collection and analysis of relevant data
• Fluent in spoken and written English, good spoken Swahili and excellent ability of report writing
• Able to work with computers and with software like Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, word and PowerPoint
• Previous experience in working in the community development sector including health and women empowerment and knowledge of local context will be a definite advantage.
Language and other requirements
• Fluency in written and spoken English essential. Good spoken Swahili
• Should be a team player and a self-starter.
• Should have ability to plan, organize and prioritize work.
• Possess a work ethic that includes neatness, punctuality, attention to detail and accuracy.
• Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate interaction with the clients and other staff.
So They Can is a strong Child Protection Organization. Any form of child safeguarding breach is not tolerated.
• Application should be made to HR So They Can Kenya at
• Quote expected Salary
• Applications should be received on or before Friday, 5th February 2023
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted