Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Program Officer – Livelihood
Reference Number: MDG / HUMOPS / 2020 / 00019
Location: Damboa, Borno
Position Status: Full-time regular employee
Supervisory Responsibility: Livelihood assistant
Reports Directly To: Senior Program Officer – Nutrition
Works Directly With: Nutrition Team, MEL Team, Cash Team, Finance and Operation teams
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
General Position Summary
- The Livelihood Program Officer is responsible for the day to day implementation of the back yard gardening and poultry production activities planned in the Responsive Economic Assistance to Conflict-affected Households (REACH) project implemented in Damboa LGA.
- The Livelihood Program Officer will work closely with the Program Manager, Nutrition Team, MEL team, and operations staff (including finance and operations) to ensure that activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality.
- Responsible for monitoring and supervision of the day-to-day implementation of backyard gardening and poultry production and ensure it is in accordance to agreed work plan.
- Coordinate with MEL team to map, identify and register program participants.
- Train targeted beneficiaries on best agronomy practices, climate smart agriculture and poultry production through formal trainings, on-job mentorship and supportive supervision.
- Identify any gaps or capacity needs within the team and ensure training and capacity building is incorporated into program planning.
- Coordinate and or supervise community mobilization and nutrition sensitization activities that promote increased consumption of nutritious diets
- Participate in planned food and nutrition security assessments/ surveys.
- Participate in periodic program monitoring and evaluation activities including baselines, end lines, midterm reviews, lesson learning exercises and compilation of success stories.
- Closely collaborate with other sector teams to ensure an integrated approach internally with MC sectors and externally with complementary activities implemented by other nutrition actors.
- Actively participate in area level nutrition, food security and livelihood sector meetings.
- Identify, build and manage collaborative partnerships with communities, local authorities and other stakeholders to create enabling environment and ownership.
- Ensure timely submission of quality weekly and monthly activity reports.
- Serve as technical focal person for all field level engagements.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture or relevant field required.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience focused on food security, livelihood or Nutrition, including community mobilization, participatory planning and rural/community development.
- Prior experience implementing agriculture or livestock support programs is essential, preferably in conflict settings.
- Demonstrated strengths in analytical skills, monitoring and evaluation, and report writing
- Demonstrated skill in training and facilitation.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Willing and able to be based within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Familiarity of the intervention areas
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri, Marghi and English.
- Must be able to work independently and show initiative. Strong leadership, communication, and management skills are essential. Understanding of humanitarian principles and their application to program implementation is required.
- Ability to supervise, mentor and coach a diverse team. Must be able to problem solve and multi-task on a range of administrative and programmatic issues.
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel is required. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position is based in Damboa, Borno State and it requires frequent travel to field sites in and around Damboa LGA.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: [email protected] using the “Job title” as the subject of the email.
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal employment opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
- Job City Borno