The Arbeiter-Samariter-Bund (ASB) is a nationwide aid and welfare organisation with 16 regional associations and 194 regional, district and local associations. More than one million people support the association through their membership, thus contributing to the ASB’s broad base in society. More than 50,000 employees and over 20,000 volunteers guarantee quality in areas such as civil protection, rescue services and social services. Since its foundation in 1888, the ASB, a politically and denominationally independent association, has stood for continuity and reliability. With the first international mission in 1921, foreign aid became an integral part of the association. Humanitarian and democratic principles form the basis of our activities.
ASB has been active in Niger since 2005, with one international and 30 local staff. The current programme focuses on emergency relief and disaster preparedness for refugees, IDPs and host communities in the Tahoua region.
To support the team at our international office in Niamey, Niger, we are seeking to recruit a
Programme Officer – Safeguarding and Inclusion
The position is full-time, 40 hours per week. The contract is for one year with an option to extend. The post will be based in Niamey, with regular travels to the Tahoua region. Under the direct supervision of the Country Director and the indirect supervision of the Sub-Saharan Africa Desk Officer in ASB Foreign Aid Headquarters in Germany (HQ), the Programme Officer will be responsible for the timely and high-quality delivery of concept notes, proposals and reports. S/he will be required to ensure compliance with donor reporting timelines and requirements.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
1. Preparation of concept notes and proposals
- Support the development of concept notes and project proposals.
- Work closely with the Finance Director and Technical Director to prepare concept and project budgets to accompany new proposals.
- Support the Country Director in achieving ASB’s global strategic objectives
- Lead project reviews and communicate with HQ on issues related to reviews.
2. Gender, safeguarding and inclusion
- ASB Niger PSEAH Focal Point as multiplier for safeguarding topics into ASB Niger and local partners, including training staff and managing SEAH complaints.
- Cooperation with HQ compliance manager on issues around policy dissemination as well as to support investigations
- Active participation in clusters and working groups on safeguarding, inclusion, etc.
- Integration of gender, inclusion and safeguarding subjects in ASB Niger and project documents (project proposals, reports, MEAL tools, communication materials).
3. Donor compliance and reporting
- Write project reports in German, English or French for ASB’s HQ and for donors, in collaboration with the Country Director, the Sub-Saharan Africa Desk Officer, the Technical Director and the project teams.
- Work closely with the Technical Director to review the content of the reports, ensuring that they are in line with the donor approved work plans and logframe.
- Support and translations for communication and public relations for ASB Niger and ASB HQ in Cologne (articles for social networks, newsletters, brochures, etc.).
- Maintain a reporting tracker and remind the team of due dates from time to time.
4. Project Planning and Monitoring
- Participate in the operational planning and monitoring of current and future projects.
- Support the MEAL department in the preparation and adaptation of logical frameworks.
- Assist in monitoring project implementation against donor guidelines, ASB performance indicators and international standards.
- Develop and support project managers in the implementation of the ASB Gender Equality Strategy and Gender Equality and Inclusion Action Plans.
5. Project Focal Point
- In collaboration with the Technical Director and the project teams, coordinate the implementation of the project “Promotion of football for girls in Tahoua” and monitor its progress on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate the project “Promotion of football for girls in Tahoua, Niger”.
Qualifications and experience
- University degree in the fields of humanitarian assistance, development cooperation, social sciences, gender studies, political science, sociology or related field.
- At least 2 years of relevant professional experience in the field of development and humanitarian assistance with a strong background in project design and implementation.
- Experience in integrating gender and social inclusion into project design, monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Experience in training and capacity building on gender and social inclusion is an asset.
- At least 1 year of experience in a conflict or post-conflict environment.
- Strong leadership and time management skills
- Ability to work respectfully and patiently with team members
- Strong writing and comprehension skills
- In-depth knowledge of humanitarian issues
- Strong analytical and reporting skills
- Flexible working style, ability to work independently and productively in a team environment.
- Excellent computer skills are essential.
- Willingness to live and work under sometimes difficult climatic and political conditions
- An excellent command of French is required.
- Very good knowledge of German or/and English is required.
Have we aroused your interest?
Please send your application with a covering letter, CV (maximum two pages each in German, French OR English) and the relevant certificates by email in pdf format to [email protected] (subject “Programme Officer Niger”). If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Nikola Walz ( [email protected]).