The Deutsche Gesellschaft fur Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH (German Agency for International Cooperation) is an international enterprise owned by the German Federal government, operating in many fields across more than 130 countries.
In Nigeria, GIZ’s portfolio includes among others, a programme to support the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) in its regional integration goals. The programme aims to strengthen sector-specific capacities in the areas of Peace and Security, Customs and Trade as weir as Strategic Management and Organizational Development in
the ECOWAS Commission.
Programme Coordinator and Policy Advisor
VA No. 123
Location: Jos, Plateau
Organization: GIZ Nigeria SEDIN Programme
Duration of contract: Asap – 03/2022
- GIZ. Working together for change
- As a service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, we are dedicated to shaping a future worth living around the world. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment promotion, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
- The diverse expertise of our federal enterprise is in demand around the globe – from the German Government, European Union institutions, the United Nations, the private sector and governments of other countries. We work with businesses, civil society actors and research institutions, fostering successful interaction between development policy and other policy fields and areas of activity.
- Our main commissioning party is the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ). The registered offices of GIZ are in Bonn and Eschborn. Our 19,506 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national personnel, work in around 120 countries (December 2017).
Pro-poor Growth and Promotion of Employment in Nigeria (SEDIN) Programme
- SEDIN is implemented by GIZ on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and co-financed by the European Community.
- SEDIN aims at improving the employment and income situation of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (MSME) through four components. The “Access to Finance” component strengthens the supply of financial services and builds the financial capabilities of clients. The “Private Sector Development” component improves access to business services, strengthens entrepreneurial skills and addresses key barriers to business. Both components work at the national level as well as in the three focus states Ogun, Plateau and Niger.
- The “Nigeria Competitiveness Project” is an EU-financed component that focuses on selected value chains in Ogun, Oyo, Lagos, Plateau and Kaduna. The “Migration and Reintegration” component aims at improving the employment situation of returning and potential migrants, with a special focus on Lagos and Edo States.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- The advertised position will be responsible coordinating programme activities in Plateau State as well as for supporting the Plateau State Government in developing and implementing policies that promote local economic development (LED), MSME development and employment creation.
- Planning, steering, coordinating and monitoring of programme activities in in the State, and reporting of results to the programme manager in charge
- Supporting the State Government in improving policy and policy implementation where relevant for LED, MSME development and employment creation
- Supporting the Project Management and Result Delivery Office (PMRDO) of the State Government, and building the capacity of its staff
- Cooperating with the private sector to advocate improving the Business Enabling Environment (BEE)
- Cooperating with other advisors in supporting the development and institutionalization of LED, business and employment support services
- Cooperate closely with the State Government and other partners, and network with all relevant stakeholders
- In close cooperation with stakeholders, plan programme activities and annual budget requirements
- Monitor the implementation of programme activities and report results to the programme manager in charge.
- Contribute to the knowledge management and communication of the programme.
- Manage consultants and project visits.
- Participate in programme management and team meetings.
- Review policies and identify policy gaps relevant for LED, MSME development and employment creation. Review the implementation of these policies and identify implementation constraints. Elaborate proposals for improving the promotion of LED, employment and BEE.
- Propose policy and policy implementation improvements to the State Government and Legislature.
- Assess the feasibility to further develop or establish new institutionalized forms of LED, business development and employment promotion.
- Support strengthening the governance and capacities of organisations that support the promotion of LED, MSME development and employment, including of the Plateau State Microfinance Development Agency (PLASMIDA)
- Support strengthening relevant industry associations and interest/advocacy groups
- Facilitate Public Private Dialogues and knowledge exchanges
- Cooperate closely with other GIZ staff and projects
- Assist with other GIZ activities as required.
Required Qualifications, Competences and Experience
- Minimum of Master of Arts, MBA or other relevant degree
- Minimum of 7 years professional experience in promoting economic development, business development and employment
- Experience in working with State Governments and Legislature at the policy making level
- Experience in organizational analysis and development
- Experience in advisory capacities
Other experiences and skills:
- Ability to work independently and without supervision.
- Ability to work in team and experience with working across borders, with internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to manage project timelines, processes and tasks effectively
- Self-motivated, pro-active approach in identifying and promoting innovative approaches
- Impeccable presentation, verbal and written communication skills in English.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their CV and letter of motivation as one document with complete contact details via email to: [email protected] Please include vacancy no.123 in mail subject.
Note: GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer; both men and women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Job City Plateau