Organizational Scope & Context:
The United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP) operates world-wide with a target of providing resettlement opportunities to many thousands of refugees each year. IOM provides a range of services and support to the USRAP including, but not limited to, case processing, migration health assessments, cultural orientation training, organized transportation and administration of a travel loan and collections program. The Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE), specifically the Resettlement and Movement Division (RMM), has the organizational responsibility to provide direction, oversight, and guidance to IOM’s global support to all resettlement programs.
Under the United States Refugee Admissions Program (USRAP), the Resettlement Support Center (RSC) provides critical support and processing services for resettlement to the US. As part of an MOU between IOM and the US State Department Bureau for Population, Refugees and Migration (PRM), IOM manages the RSC for Middle East and North Africa (MENA). RSC MENA manages US resettlement activities in Jordan, Iraq, Egypt, Syria, Morocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, Yemen, Oman, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Bahrain, Kuwait, United Arab Emirates & India. RSC MENA prepares applications for adjudication by and provides support to visiting US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) officers, facilitates security and medical screenings, provides information about arrivals to resettlement agencies in the US and offers Cultural Orientation (CO) training to individuals departing for the US.
Under the general supervision of the Associate National Project Officer, EGYPT, RSC MENA and the direct supervision of the Senior Project Assistant, Cultural Orientation, RSC MENA the Project Assistant is responsible for undertaking and guiding case management activities, with the following duties and responsibilities:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Undertake cultural orientation activities in an assigned area or areas, such as such as training, scheduling or childcare and, as required, guide and assist in monitoring teams of Project Clerks and Project Assistants in organizing and completing cultural orientation activities in an assigned area.
- Undertake cultural orientation training activities, including providing training for a range of resettlement countries throughout the region, featuring student-centered activities in all classes, assisting in drafting training lesson plans in accordance with RSC MENA cultural orientation objectives, assisting in the development of teaching materials, visual aids and bulletin boards supporting the curriculum and assisting in managing and restocking inventories of instructional supplies.
- Undertake cultural orientation scheduling activities for RSC MENA, including, if assigned, providing all individuals requiring cultural orientation classes the opportunity to attend, assisting in planning and organizing circuit rides in an efficient and effective manner and providing logistical circuit ride support is provided when necessary. Train Project Assistants and Project Clerks to provide appropriate scheduling services.
- Assist in overseeing cultural orientation childcare activities for RSC MENA, including, if assigned, monitoring and guiding staff members providing childcare services, helping ensure childcare spaces are appropriate, adequate, and well-maintained, training childcare staff members to conduct basic cultural orientation activities designed for children and monitoring the work of childcare staff members.
- Through oversight and quality check (QC) measures, verify WRAPS is updated as needed with cultural orientation-related content, including scheduling data and case updates. Provide supervisors with relevant information needed for regular reports on cultural orientation activities, including program narratives and statistical reports.
- In coordination with supervisors, liaise as needed with other teams and units in RSC MENA and other RSCs. Provide regular reports on the work being accomplished within the team to supervisors and team members.
- Train other cultural orientation team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage cultural orientation activities, update WRAPS and other databases accurately and to monitor and guide team members and activities.
- In order to develop and maintain cultural orientation training-related skills, participate in and contribute to teacher trainings and staff development seminars and engage in self-directed study for professional development, including reading resettlement updates, language tutorials, attending cultural orientation-related workshops and seminars.
- Undertake duty travel as needed to participate in cultural orientation-related activities, for meetings and for training.
- Demonstrate an in-depth understanding of the USRAP, SOPs and WRAPS, as well as the ability to remain professional, impartial, and unbiased during all interactions with applicants and colleagues.
- Maintain the confidentiality and integrity of all RSC-related information by implementing control procedures in line with USRAP standards of conduct and data protection rules. Alert the Project Focal Point, Project Coordinator or RSC management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by RSC staff members.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Completed secondary education required.
- Five years of working experience with secondary education.
- Three years of working experience with bachelor’s degree.
• Thorough knowledge of English
• Ability to use own initiative and work under pressure with minimum supervision.
• Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, and Internet.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Attention to detail and ability to organize.
• Self-motivated and objective driven.
- Thorough knowledge of English and Arabic
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Interested candidates are expected to submit their applications on or before June 06, 2023- Cairo time via the link. Late submissions will not be considered.
Interested Candidates are required to complete the full details of the application and include all the mandatory information. In addition, candidates are required to submit the below documents:
- Cover letter in the Cover letter section
- Copy of the CV in the “Other Supporting Documents” Section
In addition, please note that only the applications which would have been duly done, and which would have been submitted and received through IOM website within the announced time frame would be valid and considered for the announced vacancy.
Kindly note that for efficiency reasons, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 23.05.2023 to 06.06.2023