· 13- 08 – 2019
· Project officer / Middle East and North Africa Division – Tunis Office / Only international applicants may apply
Geneva Centre for Security Sector Governance (DCAF) is dedicated to improving the security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights. DCAF contributes to making peace and development more sustainable by assisting partner states and international actors supporting these states, to improve the governance of their security sector through inclusive and participatory reforms. It creates innovative knowledge products, promotes norms and good practices, provides legal and policy advice and supports capacity‐building of both state and non‐state security sector stakeholders.
DCAF’s Foundation Council comprises 63 member states, the Canton of Geneva and six permanent observers. Active in over 70 countries, DCAF is internationally recognized as one of the world’s leading centres of excellence for security sector governance (SSG) and security sector reform (SSR). DCAF is guided by the principles of neutrality, impartiality, local ownership, inclusive participation, and gender equality. For more information please visit www.dcaf.ch
DCAF Tunis Office supports and accompanies various legal and institutional reform projects, initiated by the Presidency of the Republic, the Prime Minister’s office, the Ministries of Interior, Defense, and Justice, the Police and Security Forces, the national armed forces, the Parliament, the Judiciary, and various independent oversight bodies. DCAF also works closely with civil society organizations, research institutions and the media.
DCAF’s Middle East and North Africa Division is looking for an experienced, motivated and dynamic individual to serve as Project Officer in Tunis office (100%). The Project Officer will be part of a professional team in Tunis and will report to the Head and Deputy Head of the DCAF Tunis office.
Project Officer (100 %)
Starting date: 1st of October 2019 or upon mutual agreement
Duration: 24 months, renewable (project funded)
- The Project Officer will support the DCAF Tunis office in implementing SSG/R projects within DCAF mandate. This includes:
- Design, implement, monitor and evaluate projects/activities, including organizational, administrative and financial aspects of projects implemented with the Ministry of Interior of Tunisia, as well as other partners as the need may be;
- Implement project activities according to logical frameworks and work plans; including the organization of workshops, training courses and expert missions;
- Identify new opportunities for research and policy, as well as partnerships with donors and partner institutions;
- Contribute to DCAF Tunis office efforts to develop and/or update DCAF knowledge products on SSG/R;
- Take responsibility for and contribute to quality and timely financial and narrative reporting, both internally within DCAF and externally to donors;
- Foster internal (DCAF Tunis office) and external coordination in the area of responsibility;
- Represent DCAF externally as requested and provide input to outreach activities of DCAF senior management;
- Assist the DCAF Tunis Head of office with ad hoc requests as needed
- Advanced university degree in international relations, political science, law, peace and security studies or a similar relevant discipline.
- A minimum of three years’ relevant work experience in the field of institutional reform, governance or international development. Experience in security sector governance and reform highly desirable;
- Outstanding writing, analytical and methodological skills;
- Experience working with security sector institutions and/or organizational development and institutional reform;
- Knowledge and experience in governance and police reform will be an asset;
- Knowledge and experience in: programme design and implementation, setting up monitoring mechanisms, project evaluation, risk assessment and stakeholder negotiation;
- Previous work in the region will be an asset
- Cultural sensitivity and familiarity with the political and social context of North Africa.
- Problem-solving and negotiation skills;
- Initiative, confidence and ability to generate and implement ideas;
- Personal commitment to improving your own knowledge and skills;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and meet objectives against tight deadlines;
- Ability to work independently, to be proactive and solution-oriented
- Excellent organisation skills with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent command of English and French. Knowledge of Arabic would be an asset;
- A rewarding, dynamic and challenging work environment
- The chance to be part of a multicultural team of supportive, hardworking and value-driven people
- The chance to contribute to improving security of states and their people within a framework of democratic governance, the rule of law, and respect for human rights
How to apply:
If you think you are a good match for DCAF and the position advertised, please send your application to [email protected] by 30 08 2019 with the subject heading “Project Officer – TUNIS”, enclosing:
- A one-page motivational statement in English describing your relevant experience and what you can bring to DCAF
· A concise CV (maximum two pages)
- DCAF application form
DCAF is committed to equality of opportunity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates regardless of sex, age, disability, gender identity, religion, or ethnicity.
- Job City Tunis