Senior Administrative Officer
GIZ Internal/External Vacancy Announcement #083/2020
GIZ AU Coordination Office
GIZ has been supporting the African Union (AU) on behalf of the German Federal Government since 2004. With around 20 regional and continental technical cooperation projects in line with the AU’s stated goals, the GIZ AU portfolio is now active in 35 countries across the continent and has staff in 17 countries of Africa. Majority of employees of the GIZ AU projects are based in the headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, and Pretoria, South Africa.
The GIZ AU Coordination Office in Addis Ababa is looking for an experienced employee who, with creative will as well as openness to piloting and innovation, contributes to the further development of this dynamic GIZ portfolio and supports us in making the GIZ Office to the AU efficient and cost-effective.
- efficiently dealing with queries about issues in his/her section
- performing tasks in compliance with GIZ’s Processes and Rules (P+R)
- correctly providing services within the team in accordance with GIZ’s requirements
- advises his/her superior on questions relating to the thematic area and on issues that are relevant to different groups
- is responsible for the business areas, orders and measures assigned within the section and for managing all staff who report to him/her (management responsibility for staff in bands 1-3 and/or 1 staff member in band 4)
- manages staff in accordance with management principles and guidelines to promote a sense of corporate identity, enable employees to carry out tasks independently and create scope for creativity and innovation
- is responsible for recruiting, selecting, grading, planning the assignment of and professional development of staff members who report to him/her
- is also responsible for monitoring, managing staff and ensuring that they provide cost-effective services
- carries out the annual staff assessment and development talk for staff members who report to him/her
- ensures internal and external networking between different groups and thinks and acts outside the boundaries of the immediate team
- designs group and working procedures in line with objectives, requirements and the client’s needs
- further develops themes and instruments in his/her working area and incorporates these into the overall context
- makes available expertise in the context of knowledge management and also advises external parties on issues from the manager’s area of responsibility
- networks with other units and takes into account management goals and requirements in providing services
- formulates solutions for complex issues and fundamental issues relating to the section
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- MSc/MBA/master’s degree in law, economics, sociology or similar area
- At least 5 years’ professional experience in a comparable position with management experience
- Experience in a cross-border context or international NGO. Mindset – international, service oriented.
- Strong manager, competency demonstrated by results-orientation.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- finely tuned organisational skills and ability to work on one’s own initiative at the conceptional level
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- very good knowledge English and French language widely used in the country, ideally a knowledge of German
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their motivation letter along with their non-returnable recent CV via Email: [email protected]
Please make sure you mention the vacancy number and position title ‘#083/2020 Senior Administrative Officer’ in the subject line of your email application. Due to large number of applications we categorize applications with the vacancy numbers. Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
Applications without vacancy numbers in subject lines might not be categorized in the appropriate folder and could be disqualified.
We encourage persons with disabilities to apply for the position. In case of equal qualification, persons with disabilities will be given preference.
- Job City Addis Ababa