For our office in Kampala, Uganda,Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. International Assistance, is looking for a
Senior Programme Manager
1 Year Contract (with possible extension)
Organisation Description: Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WASH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Johanniter has been active in Kenya since 2005 supporting local partners in various fields such as health care, disaster risk reduction, nutrition, food security and livelihoods.
In Kampala, Uganda, Johanniter opened an office in 2017. Since 2018, projects with various national NGO partners are implemented in the Northern and Western part of Uganda. The interventions focus WASH and nutrition, strengthening partnerships and response activities in rural settlements. The Country office also hosts our Global Support Unit that supports all Johanniter offices worldwide regarding financial and logistics control.
Both countries are part of a regional project together with South Sudan. The project, funded by the German Foreign Office, focuses on South Sudanese refugees and is implemented together with local partner organizations with regards to Health, WASH and livelihood.
In a Nutshell
- Be responsible for the management and implementation of Johanniter programme in Uganda, ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter
- technically supervise JIA programme staff and support our project partners in implementing our programmes in Uganda
- Assess and evaluate the activities together with the team as well as writing proposals for different donors
- Assure that regular reporting requirements are completed on time within Johanniter and to donors
- Support the Head of Mission in fundraising and representation
- Be required to have a good understanding of the overall regional programme
- Will be the contact person for all partners and authorities in the absence of Head of Mission
What you will do:
Strategy and Vision
- Contributes to the development of the country strategy based on the global Johanniter strategy
- Identifies new programmes based on assessments that support the achievements of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters in coordination with Head of Mission and HQ)
- Assesses and builds partnerships with new national, international and/or local partner organisations
- Develops exit strategies and hands over projects – if applicable
- In coordination with the Head of Mission designs, plans and coordinates all projects in the course of humanitarian aid and development cooperation in line with beneficiary needs, national policies as well as Johanniter and donor programme objectives and policies and international standards
- Supervises and ensures the effective and efficient implementation of all programme activities, reviews management systems and makes appropriate improvements at field level
- Supports and supervises national partners in effective and efficient management of projects implementation in line with the project management cycle, program objectives, log frames, activities and indicators
- Ensures cost effective planning, monitors/supervises and evaluates activities of current and future projects
- Co-ordinates activities between the field sites, project partners and the country office
- Recognises further needs and conducts assessments for project proposals including partnership assessments
- Leads the development and submission of high quality concept notes and proposals
- Assists the Head of Mission in identifying new funding opportunities
- Supports programme teams in contract management systems, grant inception workshops, submission of quality donor reports and donor compliances (in close coordination with Administrator)
- Capacity building of local partner organisations and project related staff
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Ensures project monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken periodically in conjunction with the team, the Head of Mission, project partners and relevant local stakeholders
- Monitors and maintains compliance with standard Johanniter procedures and guidelines
- Initiates regular project team meetings at all field sites to ensure successful project implementation
- Monitors the humanitarian situation in the project regions and considers strategic and immediate responses
- Regularly travels to all field sites depending on project needs and upon clearance for security
- Works closely with the Programme Officer regarding evaluations of project activities
Safety and Security
- In coordination with the Head of Mission ensures the safety of all staff at all times
- Supports the Head of Mission to monitor the security situation and establishes a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment
- Ensures that the security guidelines are followed by staff in country and visitors. Together with the Head of Mission reviews and updates the security and contingency plans as needed
- Together with the Head of Mission, maintains regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.)
Representation and Communication
- Builds and strengthens external relationships, represents Johanniter with donors, the host government, international and national organizations and coordination fora
- Supports media and press work in conjunction with the Head of Mission and HQ Communication Desk; contributes to the preparation of regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department
What you bring:
- BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably in Public Health or alike)
- More than 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, of which 3 years have been with an international NGO
- Experience in capacity building
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health and other authorities
- Experience in writing proposals and reports
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects in line with donor regulations
- Experience in conducting assessments
- Experience in security management in high risk areas and under stressful circumstances
- Experience working in an insecure context
- Previous working experience in Uganda or East Africa is an asset
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, written/oral communication and reporting skills
- Negotiation abilities and diplomatic skills
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics and ability to work in an international team
- Fully computer literate, fluency in English required
What we offer:
- Remuneration: 51335 – 54000€/annum gross
(Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and relevant previous experience).
- Benefits: 13th cheque, Social security (lump sum 375€/month for expats not under German social security); rental contribution 300 €/month; international insurance package; 29 days annual leave; yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year); Cost of Living Allowance 1020€/month
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
If this is what you are looking for, please submit your application via [email protected] (cover letter, CV, reference contacts of 3 former supervisors, job certificates if available), stating your earliest start date Please indicate “Senior Programme Manager Uganda” in the subject line of your e-mail.
Johanniter is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Suitable candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Deadline for applications: 10.07.2022
Interviews planned for: 19. – 21.07.2022
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please note Johanniter requires background checks (incl. criminal record and reference checks) to protect the vulnerable and prevent abuse.
- Job City Kampala