Position Title: Supply Chain Officer
Duty Station: Beira, Mozambique
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 07 June 2023
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission (CoM) and direct technical supervision of Head of Resources Management and administrative supervision of the Head of Sub Office/Programme Manager and in close collaboration with the Regional Office for Southern
Africa in Pretoria, and in coordination with the Manila Supply Chain Unit (MSCU) in Manila Administrative Centre (MAC), the Supply Chain Division at Headquarters (HQ) and Resources Management unit in Beira, the Supply Chain Officer will be responsible and accountable for supply chain activities in Beira Sub-Office of IOM Mozambique Country Office, guided by Supply Chain Management (SCM) objectives to deliver quality goods/services to the beneficiaries at optimal price and in a timely manner.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the strategic planning for supply chain related activities of the Baira Sub Office in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders in the country, as well as relevant units at HQ.
- Conduct logistics capacity assessment and market research to keep abreast decision makers about local market trends and developments; analyze statistical data and market reports on the commodity situation, production patterns and availability of good and services.
- Coordinate and monitor all supply chain management related tasks and activities, including planning, budgeting, scheduling and provision of goods and services needed by the CO. Prepare regular progress reports, statistical information and briefing notes, as required.
- Support the Head of Resources Management in the provision of technical oversight in the supply chain activities in Beira Sub Office, including planning, procurement, warehouse management, transport and distribution, Assets and Facilities Management, and provide specific technical guidance, to relevant staff with respect to the related policies, rules, and regulations.
- Identify supply chain bottlenecks (value stream mapping) and propose the optimization of the processes to fill the gaps and ensure beneficiaries receive quality goods and services in a timely and efficient manner.
- Contribute to the review of the procurement requests, identify service providers, and evaluate information regarding vendor’s performance in terms of quality, prices, and timely delivery of goods/services. Maintain a pool of qualified vendors. Draft contracts and agreements in coordination with legal department (LEG) and relevant parties, and monitor service providers compliance to contractual agreements.
- Solicit bids, quotations and tender documents, oversee bidding process and provide support for executing the procurement transactions, analyze the offers assuring conformity to specified requirements; conduct appraisals and select suppliers, and confirm terms of payment; prepare purchase orders and ensure receiving authorization in line with the CO’s delegation of authority (DOA) matrix.
- Liaise with the programme management and provide technical support in preparing and issuance of “Call for Proposals” and bidding documents for the tendering processes of the programmes/projects. Ensure bidding processes are conducted fairly, transparently and in accordance with the existing procurement rules and regulations.
- In coordination with relevant parties, ensure timely submission of asset, procurement and other reports within the CO, Regional Office and relevant HQ departments, as appropriate.
- Contribute to the establishment and management of robust appropriate internal control mechanisms for Supply Chain Management process to safeguard the Organization’s assets and prevent fraud, while ensuring that country specific administrative procedures are in place and followed in accordance with the Organization’s rules and regulations.
- Support and monitor the maintenance and repair of office facilities, including preventive maintenance. Contribute to the establishment of maintenance agreements with competent service providers when it is feasible and determined to be cost effective.
- Provide training and guidance to the SCM staff of CO, while monitoring, evaluating and supporting their professional and career development.
- Participate and engage actively in the UN inter-agency meetings and forums related to supply chain management. Collaborate on sharing resources to achieve common goals and implementation of UN global initiatives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Procurement, or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or,
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience
- Experience in managing diverse procurement and logistics operations; and,
- Demonstrated experience in training and supervising teams of co-workers, managing vendors and suppliers.
- Previous working experience in Southern Africa region is advantage.
- Extensive knowledge of IOM/UN internal procurement and financial rules, as well as IOM’ssystem and processes as they apply to procurement and logistics; and,
- Excellent level of computer literacy and good knowledge of SAP is an advantage.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
Accredited Universities are the ones listed in the UNESCO World Higher Education Database (https://whed.net/home.php).
Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these five values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Integrity and transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Courage: Demonstrates willingness to take a stand on issues of importance.
- Empathy: Shows compassion for others, makes people feel safe, respected and fairly treated.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own actions and delegated work.
- Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the Organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their leadership and professional potential.
- Empowering others: Creates an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Building Trust: Promotes shared values and creates an atmosphere of trust and honesty.
- Strategic thinking and vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Humility: Leads with humility and shows openness to acknowledging own shortcomings.
Competencies will be assessed during a competency-based interview.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
This selection process may be used to staff similar positions in various duty stations. Recommended candidates will remain eligible to be appointed in a similar position for a period of 24 months.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. Subject to certain exemptions, vaccination against COVID-19 will in principle be required for individuals hired on or after 15 November 2021. This will be verified as part of the medical clearance process.
Vacancies close at 23:59 local time Geneva, Switzerland on the respective closing date. No late applications will be accepted.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 07 June 2023 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.
Requisition: SVN 2023 160 Supply Chain Officer (P2) Beira, Mozambique (58157255) Released
Posting: Posting NC58157256 (58157256) Released