Join the world’s largest humanitarian network
The Swedish Red Cross is part of the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement, the world’s largest humanitarian network. The Red Cross/Red Crescent is working to improve the lives of vulnerable people before, during and after disasters and emergencies. We support people whoever they are, wherever they are.
As one of the 190 National Societies in the Movement, the Swedish Red Cross contributes towards emergency response in various ways ranging from technical to financial support. For example in 2017 we support with food, shelter, health care, water and sanitation to people in need. We are bound by the Red Cross/Red Crescent fundamental principles: humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality.
The Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement is present in 190 countries around the world. This enables the movement to be present before, under, and after emergencies and conflicts. The international department at the Swedish Red Cross (SRC), is supporting partner National Societies around the world in carrying out the unique humanitarian mandate of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
SRC has a bilateral partnership since 2015 with the Democratic Republic of Cong Red Cross (DRC RC). Since 2016, SRC is supporting DRC RC in implementing an urban disaster risk reduction project implemented in Kinshasa. DRC RC strategic plan 2019-2023 emphasizes risk reduction as a priority area to address humanitarian needs and deliver effective emergency response, as well as building the resilience of the community.
As part of SRC West- and Central Africa Regional Team, and under the direct supervision of the SRC Country Representative in DRC, the Program Manager will:
- Plan, manage, supervise, coordinate, and report the activities and budgetary aspects of the programme on behalf of SRC.
- Strategize, implement, and maintain program initiatives that adhere to organizational objectives
- Develop program assessment protocols for evaluation and improvement
- Maintain organizational standards of satisfaction, quality, and performance
- Oversee multiple project teams, ensuring program goals are reached
- Manage budget and funding channels for maximum productivity
- Provide technical input to the development of other similar projects/programmes in DRC that SRC intend to engage in.
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Provide support in the preparation, follow-up, management, quality control, and reporting of the project and budget including handing of bank accounts, payments and verification of monthly financial reports, including preparing for yearly audit of the project. This shall be done in close coordination and with support of the Financial Controllers at SRC HQ.
- Design and implement capacity development activities, such as workshops and trainings, to strengthen capacity of the DRC RC and the communities in which SRC is engaged.
- Provide technical support in the daily management of the activities planned at the provincial level, including DM related activities in the province
- Ensure coordination with RC/RC Movement partners and other humanitarian actors in DRC of the project activities.
- If required deputize for the SRC country representative and as such cover security matters
- Provide technical and monitoring support to all Swedish Red Cross (SRC) supported projects in DRC and project staff of DRC RC
- Provide high-quality technical support to DRC RC project teams in designing and implementing disaster risk reduction activities in the targeted communities
- Provide appropriate guidance and advice to the program/project teams in planning, monitoring, implementation and reporting of various projects
- Undertake regular on-site monitoring of project activities through field visits, joint-implementation (if-required), interviews and other monitoring tools, as relevant
- Work with the DRC RC finance team (especially project accountant) to monitor and review the spending rates of projects as well as carry out follow-up actions as necessary
- Support DRC RC and SRC in recruitment of project staff, including developing ToR, ensure appropriate recruitment process, participate in selection of candidates as part of a recruitment panel.
- Share experiences and provide hands-on support to SRC supported projects within and outside of DRC
- Assist the SRC country representative in identifying and solving the critical challenges/issues faced by projects or project teams including internal team conflict, coordination issues, lack of technical capacity, etc.
- Report narratively and financially on the project as required to SRC internally and externally (SRC annual reports, back donor reporting, annual audit etc)
Disaster response support
- Together with the SRC country representative support the DRC RC emergency response during any future disaster/s by collaborating and assisting the SRC and collaborating with other partners (including IFRC, other RC/RC partners in DRC, other humanitarian actors) in the target areas;
- Participate in meetings, calls related to emergency response in DRC as needed, in coordination with the SRC Africa DM Desk officer;
- Lead the SRC support to DRC RC on Community engagement and accountability and gender and diversity;
- Support institutional capacity building on Disaster Management of Kinshasa branch especially in emergency operations, contingency planning, simulation exercise.
- These activities may be implemented directly by SRC as well as in collaboration with other partners.
- Assist SRC Country Representative in building capacity of DRC RC staff, providing training, coaching and mentoring support as required
Business development and coordination
- Support SRC country representative in developing concept notes in waste management, disaster risk reduction, proposals, budgets for existing and potential new projects;
- Look for opportunities of synergy and innovation in the existing projects and implement it together with the respective team/s;
- Represent SRC country representative and DRC RC in meetings, workshops, forums, working groups, other events as relevant;
- Participate in DRC meeting, Skype calls, other events as required;
- Coordinate internally with SRC advisors to secure technical support/input to the project/s as needed.
- Higher academic education in environment, disaster risk management, geography, climate change, and at least 7 years of relevant working experience in humanitarian programmes.
- Four years of relevant experiences in community-based programs including monitoring and provision of technical support
- Experience in training and coaching
- Experience of working in complex and volatile contexts
- Proven ability of security assessment and operational security management
- Knowledge of the DR Congo context is an advantage
- Proficient knowledge of written and spoken English and French
- Driver’s License manual transmission, knowledge of 4×4
Experience of working for the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement (National society, IFRC, ICRC).
- Strong organization and leadership skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Capable of taking decisions and function autonomously
- Must be able to handle high workloads and stressful circumstances
- Must be able to live and work under demanding physical and mental conditions
- Awareness and understanding of cultural and gender differences
- Ability to coordinate and collaborate with internal (Red Cross and Red Crescent as well as external stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and to work under pressure with tight deadlines
As a Swedish Red Cross employee we expect you to share the Red Cross/Red Crescent humanitarian values. RC/RC values diversity and actively works against all forms of discrimination.
Dates and information
- Desired starting date: asap
- Time frame: 12 months, with the possibility of extension.
- Place of assignment: Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)
- Type of posting: International delegate (not open for DRC nationals). Non-family posting.
How to apply:
Closing date for applications: 19 June 2019
Please note that only applications in English made through our website will be considered. In selecting candidates the Swedish Red Cross use a competency based model and all candidates will be assessed on the above requirements.
Below the ad and the general information about the Red Cross Movement you find the button “Apply”. Click on “Apply”, fill out the form and download letter and CV. You will get an automatic confirmation that we have received your application. If you have trouble to get date of birth accepted, please try the format yymmdd (exampel 15 Jan 1975 = 750115).
For more information ABOUT THE POSITION, please contact:
Gisela Holmen Yngrot, Head of Unit West and Central Africa, Swedish Red Cross. Direct phone: e-mail: [email protected]*
Christelle Marguerite, Acting Country Representative/Programme Manager, DRC, Swedish Red Cross, email: [email protected]*
- Job City Kinshasa