Place: SIERRA LEONE (Freetown)
Length: 3 years
Starting date: November 2020
Closing date for applications: 30th of September 2020
“Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations,
we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences,
where everyone can live in dignity”
Handicap International is changing his name and becomes « Humanity & Inclusion ». HI, Humanity & Inclusion is an independent and impartial aid and development organisation with no religious or political affiliations operating in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside people with disabilities and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
Since the organisation was first founded in 1982, we have set up development programmes in 62 countries and responded to many emergencies. Today we have a budget of around 150 million euros, with 3500 employees worldwide.
HI is engaged in an employment policy in favour of disabled workers.
For further information about the association: www.hi.org.
JOB CONTEXT :
HI has been present in Sierra Leone since 1996. HI has currently four projects on inclusive education, mental health, protection and technical support.
The program currently consists of a country coordination office in Freetown and 2 project site offices in the provinces (i.e., Kenema and Kailahun). As Technical Unit Manager, you will be based in the country coordination office and will go regularly to the project sites to work with HI team and partners.
A new Program Operational Strategy development is underway. HI envision to build on the experience of inclusive education project and scale up geographically, translate our learning from mental health project into a larger program on mental health and start developing our portfolio in livelihood and health. The key priorities in future include livelihood, health, education and protection. The key cross cutting themes will be inclusion and gender.
Under the line management of the Country Director, as Technical Unit Manager, you will be part of the Senior Management Team based in Freetown and will contribute to program development and implementation, knowledge management, coordination and team management. You will manage directly the technical advisors and will work very closely with the Operation Manager, MEAL Manager and Projects Managers.
You will ensure HI programs are technically sound, guided by the relevant international technical guidelines & tools (both internal and external), and conform to a high technical quality standard.
In this part, your main duties will be:
- Technical support to program development and implementation.
- Knowledge management
- Coordination and team management
YOUR PROFILE :
- You hold a degree in Humanitarian Action, Development studies or social fields (anthropology, psychosocial, sociology, protection…)
- You show a proven expertise in one of the following themes: Livelihood, Inclusive Education, Protection, Health and has already had a role of expert or specialist. Experience in Inclusion would be an asset.
- You have also experience in project management and skills in capacity building
- You have the ability to develop a global strategic vision on development issues
- You know animate and facilitate workshops (training, project review, awareness)
- You know to take initiatives, work independently & deliver high quality results on time
- you are fluent in English
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE POSITION :
Security: the overall situation in Sierra Leone is calm, however there are some factors that should be considered from a security perspective. In particular:
• The population’s vulnerability to external shocks (which could be, for instance, increasing food prices; increasing of importation taxes; negative impact of changing US exchange rate, etc.).
• Health situation: generally speaking the health system is deficient in Sierra Leone.
Travel: the program currently operates only in Sierra Leone but aims to re-start activities in Liberia (the program closed the office in December 2017 at the end of the project). The position is based in Freetown but some visits to the Sierra Leone bases in the Provinces would be expected and it is possible that there may be a requirement to travel to Monrovia.
Living conditions: the office and the expatriates houses/apartments are comfortable. The power supply is erratic but all houses/apartments have generators and air conditioning and drinking water is supplied. Freetown is less developed that the main capitals in West Africa and food variety can be limited but most items can be found in supermarkets, markets or small shops. People are very friendly and there are some lovely local beaches which are relatively easy to access.
- Starting date : November 2020
- Length of the contract:** 3 years
- Employee status:
- Salary from 2757€ gross/month regarding the experience of the candidate
- Perdiem : 555€ net/month
- Insurances : medical hearth coverage, retirement planning, repatriation
- Paid holiday : 25 days per year
- R&R : 1 day per month
- Status : open to couples/families/unaccompanied
Housing : individual taken in charge by HI
- Job City Freetown