Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is an international charity that supports humanitarian aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services, including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety-related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO services help NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The Organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognised charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today, the Organisation provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in twelve of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for its performance, principles and professionalism.
INSO Nigeria Country Office
Since becoming registered in Nigeria, INSO has developed a strong country wide approach, supporting NGOs working on Lake Chad Basin Crisis from all neighbouring countries. The coordination office operates from Abuja overseeing two operational offices in Maiduguri, Nigeria and in Maroua, Cameroon.
We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our team as Training Officer to be based in Abuja with regular travel to the field.
The purpose of this position is to facilitate and deliver high quality training and to support the Training Manager in the ongoing improvement of INSO LCB’s training courses.
Training Facilitation and Development
- Support the line manager in course design, preparation, and delivery
- Take the lead in delivering classroom presentations and facilitate engaging training courses as directed by the line manager, to include:
- Hostile Environment Individual Safety Training (HEIST)
- Security Management (Basic and Advanced)
- Crisis Management
- Hostile Environment First Aid Training-First Responder (HEFAT-FR)
- Other relevant training, as directed
- Regularly travel to Maiduguri and the northeast to help deliver security management and crisis management courses
- Participate in the development of new training courses and adjustment of existing courses with the line manager using adult learning methodologies
Provide logistical support
- Manage the course participant lists as directed by the line manager
- Assist in producing training presentations, course handouts, facilitator notes, lesson plans, and aids as directed by the line manager
- When appropriate, assist the Training Assistant in managing training course and facility logistical demands
Guide the training strategy
- Participate proactively in the development of INSO’s regional training strategy
- Monitor course feedback systems
- Support the line manager in monitoring and evaluation of training delivery and impact
- Support the line manager further developing course appraisal and feedback systems
- When appropriate (e.g. in the absence of the Training Assistant), work closely with INSO LCB’s logistics, human resources and administration, and finance departments to manage the training program’s requirements
- Be prepared to carry out other reasonable duties that may arise, as requested by line management
- Degree in education or a post-graduate diploma in a relevant discipline or equivalent relevant practical experience.
- At least one year of experience in training delivery
- Familiarity with the philosophy, priorities, and principles of humanitarian NGOs
- Proven presentation/facilitator skills using adult learning methodologies
- Ability to carry out basic administrative and logistical tasks
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Professional working proficiency in English
- At least one year of humanitarian experience in a safety or security management role
- Political, social, and historical knowledge of the region
- Security/safety training course attendance
- First aid qualification
- User knowledge of GPS, Thuraya satellite phone, and VHF communications
- Professional working fluency in Hausa. Knowledge of other local languages is an advantage
Key Personal Competencies
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize and work with limited supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and close-knit team
Method of Application
Interested persons are requested to send the following to ([email protected]) and reference ‘INSO – Training Officer’ in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted after the closing date.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- Up to date CV (2-page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.).
INSO does not accept or ask for payment for any Job.
- Job City Abuja