SOS CHILDREN’S VILLAGES ETHIOPIA IS CHANGING AND GROWING! COME JOIN OUR DYNAMIC TEAM OF PROFESSIONALS TODAY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIVES OF CHILDREN THROUGHOUT ETHIOPIA!
SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia is a national member association to the International Federation of SOS Children’s Villages. It is non- political, not-for-profit, and non-religious social development organization focused on the wellbeing and development of children. It was founded in 1974 and has been a development partner since then with positive outcomes in the lives of many children, families and communities.
The SOS Children’s Villages Ethiopia program Addis Ababa is looking for a competent and able Village Social Worker that meets the requirements stated bellow.
Under the overall supervision of the Alternative child care program coordinator (ACCPC), the Social Worker is responsible to work on social, psychological and emotional development of the children at other form family basic care (OFFBC) and to follow-up the health matters of the children.
General aim of the position
- Ensures the holistic development of children and youths including physical and behavioral
- Ensure the empowerment of families in child care and protection;
Priority tasks & responsibilities
- Prepares and submits for approval long- and short-term plans for social services.
- Formulate, updates and/or recommends policies and procedures governing the development of social service programs, internal regulations of Village disciplinary issues, etc. in an effort to properly raise children and prepare them for better adult life and to become responsible members of the society.
- Directs, coordinates, supervises and performs social welfare programs that are being implemented by the Village.
- Follows-up, evaluates and recommends measures to be taken in order to improve services to children.
- Develops and recommends child admission criteria.
- Initiates, coordinates and provides guidance and counseling services to children and youth at OFFBC, in close cooperation with caregivers.
- Participates in any child-mother related trainings organized by the National Office.
- Guides the youth and develops programs to help them easily integrate with the communities.
- Ensures and encourages the participation of the children and youth in developing programs especially in need assessment undertakings.
- Collaborates with different external offices on matters of common concern for the provision of better services for the children, attends workshops and meetings as assigned by the Alternative child care program coordinator.
- Advises mothers to take care of hygiene conditions of each family house and the compound at large.
- Prepares health related educational packages like HIV/AIDS, sex education, etc. and teaches the children and youth by making stratification on age, sex, etc.
- Advises and assists caregivers in implementing primary health care principles.
- Ensures that children receive medical attention/ first-aid services if they are ill, injured and need medical treatment, refers serious cases to clinics and follows-up referral cases to hospitals.
- Keeps staff informed regarding health care issues, particularly those issues affecting mothers and children such as family planning, vaccination, HIV/AIDS, nutrition and hygiene.
- Performs other similar duties as assigned by the Alternative child care program coordinator.
- Qualification: BA degree in Social Work or sociology or similar discipline
- Experience : 4 years of relevance working experience and also NGO experience is advantageous
- Language: Excellent in spoken and written English and local language
- Computer skills: Basic computer literacy
Competencies – knowledge, skills, abilities
- The incumbent requires knowledge of social work theories, practices and procedures
- The incumbent requires knowledge and understanding of all pertinent legislation and policies.
- The incumbent requires specific knowledge in the areas of needs assessment, family dynamics, the impact of trauma, psycho-social functioning theories and practices and child protection theories, models and practices.
- The incumbent requires knowledge of case management, case conferencing and investigation and intervention theories and practices.
- The incumbent must be able to respond or assist in emergency situations and have very good interpersonal, mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- The incumbent must also has the knowledge of child right and UNCRC
- He/she must have well developed organizational, verbal and written communications skills, interviewing and analytical skills and good computer skills.
- The incumbent must be flexible, adaptable and able to work effectively in a variety of settings and in a cross-cultural situation and be knowledgeable of the services available in the community. He/she must demonstrate sound judgment particularly in dealing with aggressive care givers and children at risk.
- Planning and organizing
- A desire to help children in need
- Conflict resolution
- Report Writing
- Counselling techniques
- Computer literacy
How to Apply
Applicants that meet the following criteria’s are encouraged to apply through:
Only shortlisted applicants will be communicated
Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply
Child Protection is Everybody’s Business
- Job City Addis Ababa