The University of British Columbia, Canada partners with the MasterCard foundation Scholars Programme to grant $25M Scholarships to African students.
Course Level: Masters
Eligible Countries: African countries
UBC is among the first Canadian universities to join The MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program and one of 15 institutions in the world participating in the $500 million global education initiative.
Number of Scholarships: 110 students over the next 10 years
Value of Scholarship: Selected students will receive a scholarship equivalent to the costs related to attaining a degree, including travel, tuition, textbooks, housing, food, and living expenses. You will also receive financial, academic, social, and post-graduation support which will enable you to build experiences and competencies critical for academic success.
Duration of Scholarship: Full period of study
Eligibility and Selection Criteria:
- have completed a Bachelor’s degree;
- be a citizen of and have lived a significant part of their life in a Sub-Saharan African country;
- present economically disadvantaged financial circumstances, and be able to show lack of financial means from family or other sources to pursue graduate education in their home country or elsewhere;
- have achieved academic excellence under difficult circumstances, and show leadership qualities or potential;
- demonstrate an interest in and commitment to giving back to his/her home community in ways that enhance the economic growth and social development of Africa, through engagement in activities in their current profession, university or community;
- be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus (see below)
- be a person who requires a Canadian study permit to study in Canada;
- commit to returning to Africa immediately after graduation from UBC in order to apply their training and skills to the betterment of others.
Eligible Fields of Study: Interested candidates must be applying for a Master’s degree in one of the following Faculties and programs at UBC’s Vancouver campus;
- Sauder School of Business
- Full-Time MBA Program
- Faculty of Forestry
- Master of Science (MSc)
- Master of Applied Science (MASc)
- Master of Sustainable Forest Management (MSFM)
- Master of International Forestry (MIF)
- Master of Geomatics for Environmental Management (MGEM)
- Faculty of Land and Food Systems
- Master of Food and Resource Economics (MFRE)
- Master of Food Science (MFS)
- Master of Land and Water Systems (MLWS)
- Faculty of Education
- Master of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL)
- Master of Higher Education (HIED)
- Master of Education in Science Education (SCED)
- Faculty of Medicine
- Master of Public Health (MPH)
- Faculty of Science
- Master of Data Science
Method of Application: Please find more information in the Graduate Scholarship Webpage Link below.
Nominations: When students are confirmed for nomination, their high school or recognized non-profit organization must use the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program nomination package. Find the Nomination package in the link below.
Scholarship Application Deadline:
Step 1: Admissibility Submission:
- Sauder Admissibility Submission: October 25, 2018
- All other faculties: November 9, 2018
Step 2: Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program Application November 16, 2018
Step 3: UBC Faculty Applications:
- Forestry: December 14, 2018
- Land and Food Systems: December 14, 2018
- Masters of Educational Administration and Leadership (EDAL) – TBC
- Masters of Higher Education (HIED) – TBC
- Masters in Science Education (SCED) – December 1, 2018
- Medicine: December 14, 2018
- Sauder School of Business: December 14, 2018
- Science: January 13, 2019
These dates may vary from those posted on faculty websites. Please note that if you are applying for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UBC, you must submit all your documents by the dates requested above.
Sponsors: MasterCard Foundation Scholars Programme (MFSP)