Created in 1979, Action against Hunger is a non-governmental organization that fights against hunger. Its charter of humanitarian principals- independence, neutrality, non-discrimination, free and direct access to victims, professionalism, transparency – has been part of its identity for more than 40 years. Its mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through the prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action contre la Faim focuses its actions on 5 main areas of expertise: Nutrition and Health – Mental Health and Care Practices, Gender and Protection – Food Security and Livelihoods – Water, Sanitation and Hygiene – Advocacy. In 2019, Action against Hunger provided aid to 17 million people in more than 49 countries worldwide.
We are looking for A SECURITY AND ACCESS MANAGER – BUEA – CAMEROON
Context: In Cameroon, based in Buea
Action Against Hunger has been present in Cameroon since 1998. Since 2014, our action focuse mainly in the Eastern Region and the Far North of the country on emergency programs initiated with Central African refugees and affected host communities by socio-political unrest in CAR and violence related to Boko Haram activity in the Lake Chad region. ACF has set up long-term nutrition and water, sanitation and hygiene programs with the support of ECHO and SIDA for more than 150,000 beneficiaries. Since the end of 2018, ACF, under the name of Action Against Hunger (AAH), is also present in the South-West, in support of the crisis that rages in this region.
Our 2020 strategy is based on responding to immediate humanitarian needs and contributing to economic recovery and strengthening resilience and social cohesion in Cameroon.
There are 140 employees on the mission, spread over 5 bases: Batouri in the East, Maroua and Kousseri in the Far North, Buéa in the South West and coordination in Yaounde.
Cameroon is a fairly stable country. However, the Far North region remains an area of great vigilance with the presence of Boko Haram fractions on the border with Nigeria. Similarly, the Northwest / Southwest regions are very unstable.
The size of the team is small (17 staffs), with one assessment team and 2 mobile teams (one in partnership with Caritas). In Buea, southwest region, the security context remains instable. The size of the team is relatively low (2 mobile clinics turning in the field, some 20 staffs overall). Some acceptance has been gained, and requires to be maintained. Key aspect of the job is to ensure staff remains safe, through close monitoring and contact with actors on the ground. Review of security documents will be required. Some security assessments would be expected after few months. INSO is expected to start activities there, which would strongly contribute to reinforced coordination around security in the response.
The position: You will be responsible to ensure the safety of AAH in South West; whilst at the same time providing an enabling security environment to allow AAH teams to be at the cutting edge of operational implementation in South West.**
You key objectives will be:
- To follow access issues in the field for ensuring staff safety
- To negotiate when necessary on humanitarian access with all the involved actors
- To implement and update AAH humanitarian access strategy
- To implement and update AAH security management system
- To train and make AAH staff aware of security environment, procedures and rules with briefings, awareness sessions and simulation exercises…
The applicant: You have at least 2 years of experience in program in INGOs on a similar position with a previous experience working in security fragile environment.
You are proficient in evaluating the risks in field missions and you have a confirmed experience in setting up and developing security management tools, procedures and rules, in conducting training on security environment.
English (oral and written) is professional. For security reasons, the french speaker applicants would not be considered.
Salary and profits:
Length of contract: 6 months, starting as soon as possible
- Monthly gross salary from €2 010 to €2 335 upon experience.
- Per diem and living allowance: 521 € net – paid in the field
- country allowance : 450€
- + 16% of monthly gross salary as reimbursement of retirement insurance for non-French citizen.
- + Child allowance, limited to 5 children
Transportation and accommodation:
- · Coverage of transportation costs to and in the mission.
- · Individual room in guesthouse covered
100% coverage of medical expenses + repatriation insurance.
Leaves and RnR:
- · 25 days of paid leaves per year.
- · + 20 RnR per year.
- · + 215 € at each RnR period every 12 weeks
- · Coverage of the transportation expenses to the RnR area of reference (GABON)
- · Free and unlimited access to the certifying e-learning platform Crossknowledge ©.
- · Technical trainings at HQ or regional level (averagely 1 per year).
- · Intermission Workshop once a year.
- · Participation to external trainings costs upon eligibility of the request.
Why joining us?
*The security and access context is complex, dynamic, tense and fragile and thus exciting. Previous experience working in security fragile environment and non-franchophone. This position is crucial and will be very interesting given the context and the positionning of ACF / AAH response in this region.***
- Job City Buea