Agribusiness and private Sector Development consultancy
Location : Luanda, ANGOLA
Application Deadline : 10-Jul-17 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Governance and Peacebuilding
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : National Consultant
Languages Required : English Portuguese
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 14-Jul-2017
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 Months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 months
The Private Sector has an important role to play in achieving Angolan social and economic transformation. For the past decade, Angola has enjoyed a rapid economic growth that has outpaced human development. The oil-dominated economy (85% of state revenues) produces growth rates above 8%, and at $4,580 the relatively high gross national income per capita is above the middle-income country threshold. On the other hand, human development is low (HDI of 0.508, ranking 148 out of 187 countries), reflecting least developed country conditions. Responding to the above challenges and programme rationale, UNDP will support, in an integrated manner, the following programme priorities: (a) policies and strategies to promote inclusive, sustainable growth, leading to ‘graduation’ from the least developed countries group; (b) National systems and institutions to achieve economic diversification, entrepreneurial development and sustainable livelihoods; (c) National capacity for evidence-based planning, implementation, coordination and monitoring; and (d) Facilitate for inclusive and sustainable social protection.
UNDP, through its Regional Service Centre for Africa (RSCA), Inclusive Growth and Sustainable Development (IGSD) Cluster, has established the Agribusiness Supplier Development Programme (ASDP). The ASDP improves the quantity and quality supply of agricultural products by farmers and Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to markets, provides smallholder farmers and SMEs with support in accessing the growing agricultural supply chains of lead firms, and contributes to the development of national African economies by developing agricultural products that meet market quality standards.
UNDP Angola Country Office has embraced the ASDP approach and has commenced to advance a national ASDP. One of the issues faced by the agribusiness sector in Angola is the fact that the players in the private sector (lead firms) are not able to get the right quality and quantity of raw material for the industries; hence relying on imports of commodities that cannot be produced in Angola. ASDP shall therefore provide a bridge that links the smallholder farmers and SMEs that supply agricultural products with access to the growing agricultural supply chains of lead firms in Angola and in generating additional economic activity that contribute to increased incomes and ultimately to reduced poverty. This programme targets smallholder farmers in selected locations, lead (processing) firms and other stakeholders in agricultural supply chains (e.g. input suppliers, seed companies, financial institutions, etc.).
The Sustainable Economy Development and Inclusive Growth Unit in UNDP Angola is responsible for coordinating and supporting the implementation of the UNDP’s private sector strategies that aim at supporting the Angola government on economic diversification through value and supply chains development initiatives that promote inclusiveness of stakeholders and sustainable and equitable growth. In partnership with SODEPAC, the ASDP has facilitated increased livelihood diversification through training and provision of inputs capacities for production of horticulture, supply chain, and legalization of cooperative for about 4500 smallholder farmers.
To meet the objectives of the Angola ASDP, UNDP seeks a consultant with extensive relevant experience across private-sector development and agribusiness initiatives. The consultant will be based at UNDP Angola office and will work in close collaboration with the programme and operations team of UNDP Angola, programme staff in other UN Agencies, the UNDP Private Sector Unit based at the UNDP RSCA IGSD Cluster, Government officials, the private sector active in agribusiness in Angola, technical advisors and experts, multi-lateral and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UNDP programme implementation.
Duties and Responsibilities
Overall the ASDP 2017 Annual Work successfully implemented and new partnerships agreements private sector developed and specifically through
- Conduct and coordinate analytical work on the private sector investment climate, derive from the revitalization strategies and define areas for UNDP interventions;
- Supervise the elaboration of nine (9) studies on Productive value chains with Fundo da Accao Social (FAS) and analyze and make recommendations for improving such studies;
- Implement the ASDP 2017 Annual Work Plan and Identify potential private and public sector off-takers partners for the ASDP, develop and finalize partnerships agreements with them;
- Facilitate partnership building and resource mobilization activities in support of the Angola ASDP including the preparation of donor profiles, concept notes and proposal including results frameworks;
- Provide guidance and operational support including monitoring and evaluation to the Angola ASDP. Assist in maintaining relevant databases for tracking of results and reporting to stakeholders on the Angola ASDP;
- Prepare various communication including monthly progress report to the RSCA IGSD Cluster and public information for the CO newsletter and website pertaining to the ASDP implementation and other Private Sector related issues;
- Assist in the facilitation of knowledge building and management focusing on the Angola ASDP and on Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR). Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues;
- Facilitate dialogues and working meetings with Ministerial Departments (Ministries of Agriculture, Commerce, Economy, Fishery, Toursim), National Institute for Statistics (INE), UN Agencies, NGOs, Academia and International Development Partners (World Bank, AfDB), IFAD and FAS, as needed to achieve the deliverables;
- Draft ToRs to document good practices and successful stories of the ASDP interventions with Kikula Ku Muxi Project.
- Develop the resource mobilization Plan for ASDP
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP´s mission, vision and values;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Highest standards of of integrity, discretion and loyalty.
- Openness to receive professional feedback in the consulting process;
- Results Ability to work with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams;
- Creativity, innovation and initiative.
- Proven experience in working with SME and agro-food value chain development.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters in Economics, Social Sciences or areas related to development.
- Minimum 5 years work experience in development, management and implementation of development programmes in Agribusiness and private sector development or related field;
Experience in Private Sector Development, inclusive business models and business development, deal-making, partnerships, and investment promotion;
- Experience in advocacy and resource mobilization;
- Monitoring and Evaluation experience.
- Portuguese, highly recommended;
- English, written and spoken;
- Spanish (desirable).
Applicants will be screened against qualifications and competencies specified below through a desk review or an interview process. Those selected for the next stage of the selection process will be reviewed based on the cumulative analysis through a combination of the Technical (70%) and Financial Scores (30%).
The technical/methodological section of the proposal, should detail the main technical/methodological tasks to be developed to achieve the objective, the expected result and deliverables of this ToR.
The Financial Proposal should provide a lump sum cost in USD that includes daily fees, travel costs and living allowances. Submission of a Financial Proposal is mandatory.
Proven ability in Private Sector Development, inclusive business models and business development, deal-making, partnerships, and investment promotion: 30 points;
Proven ability in development, management and implementation of development programmes in Agribusiness and private sector development or related field: 25 points
Proven ability in working with SME and agro-food value chain development.: 30 points
Proven ability in advocacy and resource mobilization: 10 points
Ability in Monitoring and Evaluation experience: 5 points
Lump sum payment based on deliverables.
The amount to be paid for this consultancy will be based on the consultant’s experience, and the compliance with the consultancy requirements mentioned in section III of these terms of reference. Payments will be made as follows:
- 15% upon the development of a work plan approved by the UNDP.
- 35% upon completion of expected deliverables 1-8 approved by the MPDT and UNDP.
- 50% upon presentation of Technical document covering deliverables 9 and 10
Guidelines for the application
Filled P11 form including prior experience in similar projects and contact details of references (blank form can be downloaded from)
Please upload a signed P11 and or your CV to the link
Applicants without required educational background will be disqualified.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please make sure you have provided all requested materials/information. UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
ANNEX 1- INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT GENERAL TERMS AND CONDITIONS is provided here: http://www.undp.org/content/dam/undp/documents/procurement/documents/IC%20-%20General%20Conditions.pdf.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
- Job City Luanda