Summary of the Position
Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is seeking to recruit a Chief of Party (COP) for an anticipated five-year USDA funded McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition program in Côte d’Ivoire. The McGovern-Dole program is designed to improve the literacy of school-age children through improved literacy instruction, student attentiveness, and student attendance, to increase the use of positive health and dietary practices and support maternal and child nutrition (MCN).
Based in Abidjan, the COP will provide overall strategic direction on the project including establishing and maintaining systems for project operations, coordinating and maintaining working relationships with government partners and other stakeholders, and overseeing technical and financial reporting to USDA.
Nascent is an African women-led international development organization founded 2004 with the mission of harnessing the creative entrepreneurial skills of target beneficiaries and strengthening their capacity to champion the development agenda of their communities. In the last 15 years Nascent has mobilized resources and implemented programs in food security, nutrition, education, and maternal and child health, impacting the lives of over 5 million people in Cameroon, Liberia, Malawi, Sierra Leone, Uganda, and Zambia.
Please Note: Position is contingent upon receipt of 2020 McGovern-Dole *award.
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Type of Employment: Salaried, full-time
Duties and Responsibilities
· Serve as the primary point of contact with USG Côte d’Ivoire agencies and the Government of Côte d’Ivoire regarding day-to-day implementation and management of the program
· Ensure the smooth functioning and coordination of all project functions, including program development and implementation, project finances and administration, outreach and reporting, and program monitoring and evaluation
· Ensure the technical quality and appropriateness of the technical services provided through the project and the quality of the results generated
· Provide technical and management oversight on project personnel and represent Nascent to line ministries, donors and multinationals, technical agencies, and other participating organizations as required
· Ensure compliance with USG/USDA regulations and procedures, including compliance with Nascent Solutions’ internal policies and guidelines
· Ensure that all assistance provided under the contract is technically sound and appropriate for the needs to be addressed; and ensure the adequate management and supervision of the work of all experts/personnel provided under the agreement
· Oversee the preparation and presentation of implementation plans, progress reports, and other required donor deliverables.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
· Master’s Degree in international development and/or a related area
· 10+ years of demonstrated experience successfully managing complex USG or other international donor programs, including a minimum of five (5) years of experience as Chief of Party (CoP), Country Director, or equivalent
· Demonstrated ability to effectively negotiate and collaborate with host governments, local communities, donors, other USDA projects, local organizations, and partners and stakeholders at all levels
· Proven ability to successfully manage and groom staff as part of a multi-disciplinary team
· Ability to manage cooperative agreements, contracts, and grant-making programs in accordance with all reporting requirements
· Ability to perform internal control functions to manage day to day operations of the project
· Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including oral and written fluency in English and French
· Previous in-country experience in Côte d’Ivoire highly desirable or West African country.
About Nascent Solutions
Nascent Solutions (Nascent) is a Virginia-based 501(c) (3) non-profit international development organization. Its mission is to enable vulnerable people, especially women and children in rural Africa, to develop skills for self-sufficiency. The organization’s areas of focus are food security and nutrition, health, education and skills development, and gender equity.
How to apply
How to Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter, CV, and salary requirements to [email protected] Please include “Chief of Party- Côte d’Ivoire” in the email subject line. CVs without cover letters will not be considered. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for applications is April 24th, 2020. Candidates are encouraged to apply early as possible as we are looking to fill the position quickly.
*Côte d’Ivoire nationals are highly encouraged to apply.**
- Job City Côte d'Ivoire