Chemonics seeks a Decarbonization Lead for the Power Africa Empower Southern Africa (ESA) Program funded by USAID. ESA is a 5-year regional program that covers South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar, Comoros and Sao Tome and Principe. The primary purpose of ESA is to increase the availability of, access to, and use of affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy in Southern Africa in order to reach measurable development outcomes. Measurable development outcomes include economic growth, reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity-enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people and communities around the world.
- Create and implement strategies to reduce carbon emissions across ESA countries
- Identify gaps in national net-zero plans and prepare roadmaps in two countries
- Work in close collaboration with the Just Energy Transition (JET) Program to improve renewable energy commercial agreements, develop and fund repower and repurpose (R&R) concepts, and implement successful energy sector transition initiatives
- Use direct investment such as grants to help energy access businesses achieve scale and drive decarbonization
- Expand markets for distributed RE with policies to support commercial, industrial, and small-scale generators (including households)
- Support implementation of large-scale renewable projects in the region
- Support the expansion of electric vehicle adoption
- Ensures “one team” approach with WSP to deliver technical assistance on energy sector planning, energy transition, clean energy procurement, and power pool/regional coordination
- Develops scopes of work to ensure technical quality and fit with country needs and strategies
- Liaises with MEL and GESI teams so all technical activities are properly set up and continually measured for attribution/contribution to activity targets, including GESI goals
- Supervise long-term technical staff and short-term consultants
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party-Senior Technical Advisor
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, law, engineering, economics, sustainability, policy, or a related field, Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum eight years of experience in implementing activities to reduce carbon emissions, net zero planning or other relevant experience
- Familiarity promoting gender equality and social inclusion in the energy sector
- Prior experience with managing a team of subject matter experts across multiple countries
- Familiarity with design and implementation of capacity building programs in the electricity sector
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy, and leadership skills, including the ability to manage high-level relationships
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility and integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English with command of either French or Portuguese a plus
Please submit an application to [email protected] with the subject line “Decarbonization Lead – ESA Application” by December 8th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data.
- Job City South Africa