The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral, and independent organisation with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavours to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Regional Delegation in Nairobi co-ordinates the institution’s humanitarian activities in Kenya, Tanzania, and Djibouti.
Digital and Audiovisual officer leads efforts to gather, create and deliver compelling and engaging content (proactively and reactively) through the direct management of official social media channels. Provides guidance and support to staff at all levels of the organization on social media use and produces in-depth reports on content performance. Identifies social media trends and applies them appropriately in-house, creating and adapting best practice accordingly. Assesses and alerts on the potential impact that emerging issues and trends in public sources might have on ICRC’s operations, acceptance and security liaising closely with the relevant departments. Facilitates and supports the delegation’s decision making by providing actionable information analyses. operations.
Tasks and responsibilities
AUDIOVISUAL PRODUCTION AND DIGITAL ENGAGEMENT
- Plans, produces (from the concept stage to the final product), carrying out filming missions and scriptwriting as well as commissioning content, promotes and distributes communication products that target television and digital news broadcasters.
- Provides key input into communication strategies, shaping concepts to ensure products successfully reach intended audiences.
- Ensures accurate, timely and effective delivery of digital content, optimized for search and audience engagement.
- Develops and creates Audio Visual content for the delegation and in partnership with Audio-visual Producers, social media leads, Web Editors and Digital Officers primarily at headquarters and in collaboration with the regional communication centres
- Manages the photography needs of the office for both internal and external use.
- Manages external audio-visual suppliers, including writing contracts.
- Produces web-optimized content in specific languages to engage with key web audiences.
- Supports all staff in photography and audio-visual techniques and ensures that audio-visual information-management procedures are defined and respected.
- Develops digital strategies for the Delegation and lead on content execution and engagement with priority audiences.
- Creates best practices and develops innovative digital projects for official social media accounts and the website, engaging with and delivering content to priority audiences.
- Creates, edits, repurposes rich social media content, like posts and tweets, image slide shows, threads, gifs and video, with a clearly developed narrative and tone of voice.
- Manages official ICRC Nairobi social media accounts, posting content and responding to comments and direct messages in an appropriate fashion.
- Working closely and under the supervision of the Communication manager, identifies and monitors a variety of public sources relevant for the ICRC on issues related to Delegation operational objectives and the ICRC institutional goals and reputation and reports weekly.
- Adds value to the information by connecting the dots between events, linking the information with the wider political, economic and social situation, bridging it with internal knowledge
- Actively supports the development of the Misinformation, Disinformation and Hate Speech file in the delegation, liaising with relevant Departments as well as the Regional Communication Centre and Trend, reputation, analysis and knowledge.
- Identifies influencers including through a social network analysis and advises the delegation on their areas of interest.
- In times of crisis, adapts the support and collaborates with relevant departments to produce actionable insights (regular reports on situation and on influencers).
Minimum Requirements and competencies
- University degree or postgraduate studies in communication, marketing, journalism or international relations preferably with digital background and specialization.
- Minimum 4 years professional experience, 2 of which are in digital communication.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (Knowledge of French is an asset).
- Proficiency in web publishing (content management systems, including Drupal and/or WordPress) and design tools.
- Deep understanding/expertise of social media platforms, analytics tools and metrics.
- Excellent Audio Visual and photography skills
- Expertise in web editing search engine optimization and ad management (Google Ads, Facebook, Twitter).
- Excellent public speaking skills and ability to communicate about technical matters to audiences in training settings.
- Excellent knowledge of the media and social media landscape.
- Precise, rigorous with high sense of confidentiality and integrity.
- Able to work efficiently under pressure with minimum supervision.
- Independent with sense of responsibility and initiative.
The interested candidates should fill up the application form by clicking the link below then submit their CV, motivation letter, including references details, supporting documents (Certificates, Diplomas, Degree etc) on or before 23rd February 2024 at 4:30 pm to ICRC Nairobi Delegation, HR Department via the email address provided below:
- E-mail: [email protected]
The reference Digital and Audiovisual Officer must be stated in the application to be valid. If you do not clearly state the position for which you are applying and attach the required certificates & other supporting documents, your application may not be considered. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in Kenya.
ICRC does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process. All applications are free for all candidates, and no one should require any payment or compensation during the recruitment process. May the candidate be asked for any fee, he/she must report to ICRC HR Department through the recruitment contact.
ICRC is committed to diversity and welcomes applications from qualified candidates regardless of disability, gender identity, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
In processing your personal data for recruitment purposes, we follow the information notice as explained HERE.