Chemonics seeks a Director of Finance and Operations for the USAID Empower Southern Africa (ESA) project. ESA is a 5-year regional program that covers South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar, Comoros and Sao Tome and Principe. The primary purpose of ESA is to increase the availability of, access to, and use of affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy in Southern Africa in order to reach measurable development outcomes. Measurable development outcomes include economic growth, reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity-enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation and food security. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people and communities around the world.
- Support the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party-Program Support to develop and implement management systems for project planning, reporting, and performance management; financial management; property and technical procurement systems; and personnel management
- Manage daily work of project teams as directed by Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party-Program Support and provides performance feedback
- Support technical implementation through timely reviews of subcontracts and subcontract modifications, processing of local subcontractor payments, and overall effective management of subcontracts and leases with landlords, warehouses and other vendors, as well as relevant software licenses
- Monitor and supports the standardization of operational systems and policies in the Pretoria office and in field activities
- Ensure compliance with U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, laws of South Africa, and any supplemental policies developed specifically for South Africa
- Develop and implements systems that assist supervisors to manage and oversee supervisees and provides regular and constructive feedback to project staff
- Ensure proper administration of the program through the supervision of the project finance, procurement and administration teams
- Supervise Finance Manager and Operations and Security Manager
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Deputy Chief of Party-Program Support
- Provide leadership and supervision in all aspects of project accounting, financial management, and budgeting in compliance with USAID regulations
- Oversee monthly accounting cycle. Review GJs, ensure correct billing of project expenses, build fluency in Chemonics’ finance and accounting software (ABACUS). As necessary, liaise with DC-based project management and financial compliance teams
- Maintain project bank accounts. Ensure completion of monthly bank reconciliations
- Review and approve payroll calculations and monthly wire transfer requests
- Track and reports quarterly on project financial management indicators
- In coordination with the DC-based project management team and Chief of Party, support reconciliation of funding amounts
- Draft annual and ad hoc budgets to estimate financial resources, level of effort, and in-country travel necessary to implement current and future work plan activities
- Work with the DC-based project management team to reforecast expenses on a monthly basis using the project’s ‘budget monitor’ (excel tool)
- Facilitate and supervise travel, ensuring safety and security of project office staff and adherence to the project office policy manual. Collaborate with DC-based project management team to obtain required approval for international travel
- Prepare and maintain project transportation services agreements
- Manage the procurement process by conducting and overseeing bidding; drafting operational purchase orders and subcontracts; and maintaining accurate, complete, and timely records in accordance with U.S. Government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, the laws of South Africa
- Provide support to field office staff
Human Resources Management
- Supervise project human resources management, including personnel recruitment and hiring, registration of project expatriate personnel in accordance with local law, etc
- Oversee the identification, selection, recruitment, training, and orientation of human resources required for the execution of project activities in line with Chemonics policies and procedures
- Spearhead annual local counsel review of project office policy manual and employee agreement templates
- Ensure the timely payment of staff salaries
- Ensure compliance with local legislation, USAID regulations, Chemonics policies, and the activity contract as related to personnel hiring and management
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, Master’s degree preferred
- At least eight years of progressively responsible experience in administrative and financial management of large-scale, complex, international development assistance programs
- Experience supervising staff and overseeing field accounting for USAID funded contracts, across multiple countries preferred
- Demonstrated ability to establish and develop working relationships and a high level of trust with public/private organizations
- Demonstrated versatility, leadership, and integrity
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and using innovative approaches to solve complex problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Please submit an application via email to [email protected] by November 30th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data.
- Job City South Africa