Summary Position Description:
We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the Determined, Resilient, Empowered, Aids Free, Mentored and Safe Initiative (DREAMS) Project implemented by FHI 360 under the Capacity Development and Support (CDS) Program in South Africa with PEPFAR/USAID funding.
Beginning October 1st, 2020, the DREAMS Project will support vulnerable Adolescents Girls and Young Women (AGYW) in 14 districts across 7 provinces of South Africa. It will aim to empower AGYW with human, social, and economic assets to reduce their risk of HIV infection and expand their opportunities to lead healthy and productive lives and be valuable members of their communities. This project has three components: Social Asset Building (SAB), Economic Strengthening (ES) and Family Strengthening/ Parenting Education.
The DREAMS Economic Strengthening (ES) component aims to build resilience of AGYW through equipping and capacitating them with ES skills and opportunities. ES activities with AGYW will include gender specific training on financial literacy, job readiness skills, entrepreneurial and marketable skills, market assessments at local level and connecting older DREAMS beneficiaries to jobs, through government initiatives and private sector networks.
The DREAMS Economic Strengthening Technical Advisor will be the lead technical expert on delivery of the DREAMS ES component. S/he will provide expert guidance on appropriate technical and programmatic approaches to prepare AGYW to succeed in the workforce/self-employment and connect AGYW to employment opportunities.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Reporting to the DREAMS Program Director (DPD), the Economic Strengthening Technical Advisor (DESTA) is responsible for the coordination and management of the economic strengthening pillar of the DREAMS Project under CDS, including managing of the ES work planning as well as overseeing all the trainings, work opportunity linkages and private sector engagement.
- Responsible for the technical oversight over the implementation of the DREAMS Economic Strengthening component of the program and ensure highest technical standards, adopt innovative programmatic approaches and contribute to the overall DREAMS strategic objectives.
- Active engagement with key stakeholders such as Private Sector, Agencies, Government, Developmental Sector to secure linkage opportunities for AGYW in various pathways (employment opportunities, entrepreneurship, wage internship, learnership and vocational training)
- Supervision of staff and ensuring young girls are successfully linked to employment opportunities, entrepreneurship, wage internship, learnership and vocational training.
- Provides expert advice on a coordinated, streamlined and effective organizational strategy to meet the AGYW ES targets.
- Oversees the monitoring of project activities, providing technical assistance to project staff and sub-grantees when necessary.
- Provides overall quality assurance on technical design and implementation.
- Actively liaise with DREAMS implementing partners, NGOs and other civil society partners, host country government partners, and private sector to cultivate strategic relationships and alliance.
Minimum Qualifications and Job Requirements:
- Degree in public health or Social Sciences / Economics, or any related field, a master’s degree is highly desirable
- At least 8 progressive years of experience as a specialist working in Economic Strengthening or Workforce Development in South Africa
- Demonstrated experience linking youth to employment or entrepreneurship activities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the potential private sector support landscape for AGYWs in South Africa
- At least five years demonstrated PEPFAR experience in managing and supervising a team preferred
- Strong familiarity with PEPFAR and USAID policies, procedures, rules, regulations and reporting requirements for INGO-led projects
- Proven leadership and inter-personal skills and ability to build and motivate diverse and talented teams
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
- Job City Pretoria, South Africa