UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, Hope
Purpose of the job:
To support the Oromia FO emergency coordination and management in 8 emergency affected zones f Oromia Region.
How can you make a difference?
Under the guidance of Chief of Field Office, the consultant will contribute to the acceleration of emergency response, support effective project implementation and management, and help mobilize resources as required. She/he will also promote more effective emergency preparedness and response coordination between government, UNICEF, other international agencies, civil society, and communities.
- Conduct desk reviews of existing data collection, processing and analysis and reporting system (Education, Health, Child protection, and WASH) for emergency context.
- Review data/information management systems in terms of content, format, reliability, processing, analysis, reporting capacities and use for informed decision making by concerned partners.
- Assisting implementing partners at the regional and/or zona/woreda level to provide timely emergency updated data and information.
- Identify good practices, gaps and recommendations for implementation by all concerned partners.
- Conduct affected population consultations and produce reports and case stories in relation to the emergency.
- Support linkages and coordination among sectors and clusters.
- Support the organization and running of cluster meetings, ensuring that action points are recorded, shared and properly followed up in a timely fashion.
- During emergencies, coordinate/ undertake rapid assessments and participate in immediate action (based on UNICEF Core Commitments for Children), within 72 hours wherever feasible.
- Provide technical inputs in a timely and efficient manner on emergency supply related items. Follow up closely on their utilization and report to UNICEF Oromia team.
- Assist in the preparation of detailed reports relating to Emergency for UNICEF Oromia FO, Oromia DRM and other partners.
- Regularly compile and provide quality and comprehensive biweekly emergency SitRep of the field office.
- Assist in the facilitation of emergency training and emergency related capacity building initiatives.
- Any other Emergency related activities in discussion with the chief of the field office.
- Participation at regional, zonal and woreda coordination meetings.
- Desk review and analysis of relevant data and / information.
- Direct IDPs site visits and on-site information collection. Regular travel to affected zones and woredas hosting IDPs in the region.
- Guidance on the use of standard tools to emergency response.
- Close coordination with UNICEF colleagues, regional government partners and other partners in the field.
- Weekly submission of brief reports.
- The consultant will be supervised by and report to the Chief of Oromia FO.
- The consultant will submit biweekly SitRep, monthly reports (including 4W reports) based on agreed deliverables and submit a final written report at the end of the assignment.
Expected Deliverables and Timeline
- Any emergency assessment reports.
- Brief, quality and comprehensive biweekly SitRep and monthly progress reports (including summary of progress made against, identification of key challenges, bottlenecks and recommended actions to be taken)
- Minutes of cluster coordination meetings
- Updated supply monitoring report (current inventories, utilized, required supplies and gaps)
- Regularly updating the 4W matrix
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- University degree, preferably at an advanced level, in a subject area relevant of social science and public health.
- Formal training in cluster information management and emergency response is an advantage
- A minimum of 5 years progressively responsible humanitarian and development work experience in Emergency with UN Agencies and/or INGOs.
- Strong knowledge and experience in establishing coordination architecture at different levels.
- Ability to train others in data /information collection, validation, data entry and analysis, monitoring and reporting is a key requirement.
- Fluency in written English and Affan Oromo required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The competencies required for this post are….
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
- Job City Addis Ababa