The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
Overall purpose of the role:
Under the supervision of the Area Manager the Area Office Finance Team Leader supports in day to day routine Financial duties, review budget/budget revisions and other duties as per the JD and is the lead Focal point for the area office finance staff and program staff. Finance Team Leader also acts as “Technical Focal Points” to area office finance and program staff on Finance aspects.
Accounting / Finance
· Prepare/Review cash books for completeness and accuracy before forwarded to Country Office (CO).
· Prepare commitment cashbook in coordination with Procurement department.
· Review & submit IDRAs to Country Office and update the bank signatories, as and when required.
· Monitor the liquidity levels of the offices and ensure that the cash requests are sent to Country Office on time as per the deadlines.
· Review monthly payroll and allocation for Time sheets for all staff.
· Review X’s and follow up with the staff to ensure advances are cleared within approved time frame.
· Reconcile the X’s on monthly basis and forward to Country Offices as per the deadline.
· Ensure all X’s are settled for closing projects within liquidation period.
· Ensure the cash book supporting documents are scanned on monthly basis and forwarded to Country Finance Coordinator as per the provided deadlines.
· Review Area office Finance payment documentation for accuracy and compliance with DRC/Donor guideline procedures and payment check list.
Budgeting and Reporting
· In coordination with the AM/PM) Develop annual budgets for DDG/DRC office (Master budget) and ensure all data are accurate.
· In Coordination with area team, conduct Monthly BFU/TDL reviews meeting & monitor actual spending and advice AM/Program team to avoid overspend and plan on underspending, clearing of outstanding advances.
· Prepare donor budgets with support AM/PM.
· Support the Country Finance Team in budget re-alignment
· Ensure the TDL’s are cleaned for donor reporting and inform Country Finance Coordinators.
· Ensure partner cash books are submitted on monthly basis, review all supporting documents, scan vouchers and submit to Country Finance Coordinator.
· Minimize financial risks by ensuring that DRC/DDG financial policies and procedures as set in Operations Handbook and any other CO/RO/HQ instructions are strictly adhered to through predefined effective internal control system.
· Review Area office scanned documents before forwarding to Country Finance Coordinators.
· Conduct regular compliance checks on Area offices.
· Ensure the implementation of recommendations raised through internal & external audits, compliance audits etc.,
· Review and monitor partners’ financial reporting /capacity building also provide additional technical assistance to partners as necessary to maintain high standards of compliance. If additional support is required coordinate with CO Finance Coordinator.
· Support the Country Finance Team in internal and external audit process.
Local Tax management
· Coordinate with Area Finance, HR/Admin staff and/or with NGO Liaison bodies to obtain relevant local tax laws/requirements and ensure DRC/DDG is in compliance with same. This includes obtaining tax exemptions (i.e. Value Added Tax [VAT]) letters on yearly basis.
· Coordinate with HR department to ensure all taxes related to staff salaries are paid on timely manner to the relevant departments within your area of support. This included taxes for Expatriate salaries, where applicable.
· Support the Finance to coordinate with the Procurement and Logistics department to ensure the relevant taxes (if applicable) are indicated in all supplier documentation and paid to the relevant departments on timely manner.
· Keep Finance Manager, Country Finance Coordinators informed of the latest developments.
Experience , Education and Technical competencies.
· University degree in Finance/Accounting/Commerce/Business Administration or three-five years DRC/DDG experience in Finance/Accounting work combined with Diploma/Technical certificate in Finance/Accounting.
· At least three year’s work experience in field of finance/accounting/book keeping in an NGO or the commercial sector.
· Hands-on experience/skills in MS Excel (experience in working with formulas).
· Experience in preparation of Donor budgets for Danida/SIDA/USAID/EU/UN donors will be an advantage.
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Fluency in local spoken languages.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
· Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
· Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
· Communicating: You listen to other stakeholders and staff; and you communicate concisely and persuasively.
· Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values
Availability: 1st August, ,2019
Duty station: Baidoa
Reporting to: Area Manager
Duration: One Year with possibility of extension.
The position is open to Somali Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
Qualified candidates are invited to access the full job description and the requirements for this position under vacancies at www.drc.dk. Please submit applications online using this link latest by 22nd July, 2019.
- Job City Baidoa