Since 1963 and in 148 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that designs and delivers technical and management solutions in agriculture, economic growth, and resilience to promote economic prosperity and social inclusion.
Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion (GYSI) Director, Kenya
ACDI/VOCA is seeking an Gender, Youth, and Social Inclusion (GYSI) Director for an anticipated program in Kenya funded by USAID. The activity will improve the resilience of vulnerable populations and environments by increasing the capability of local communities, institutions, and ecosystems to mitigate against recurrent environmental, economic, socio and political risks, shocks and stressors.
The GYSI Director will lead the development and implementation of the program’s overall strategy for GYSI and will ensure the integration of women, youth, and other vulnerable populations into all program activities. The program is anticipated to start in 2023 and this position is envisioned to be based in Nairobi, Kenya.
- Lead the development of the GYSI strategy which will guide the integration of GYSI concepts and approaches into all program activities, including technical implementation, monitoring, operations, policies, and procedures
- Collaborate with the Chief of Party, technical teams, MEL, and other personnel on GYSI strategy implementation and monitoring
- Lead or assist in the design and implementation of GYSI analyses, impact assessments, and other learning studies
- Provide technical advice and trainings to program staff, partners, and stakeholders to build their capacity to integrate gender, youth, and other relevant social considerations into designing interventions, implementation, and monitoring and evaluation
- Review and provide input to project work plans, with attention to GYSI dimensions of technical activities and operations and discuss GYSI issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists
- Support the M&E Lead to ensure that all data is disaggregated by sex and age in data collection processes, analysis, and reporting
- Work with M&E and technical teams to incorporate GYSI into CLA plans and practices, including developing GYSI indicators and learning questions, incorporating GYSI issues into pause and reflect sessions, and ensuring that the project reports on GYSI outcomes and impacts
- Lead or assist in the preparation of reports and documents for submission to USAID and ACDI/VOCA home office
- Write, coordinate, and disseminate lessons learned among team and program stakeholders
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of GYSI related to project components
- Bachelor’s degree in sociology, gender, international development, agriculture, business administration, or related field is required; master’s degree is preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive work experience in international development, preferably in an agricultural or food systems context, including 5 years of experience in GYSI programming.
- Knowledge of and experience with USAID and/or other international donor programs’ rules and regulations related to GYSI is required.
- Knowledge of proven approaches and best practices for integrating women, youth, and other historically excluded populations into access to finance, agriculture, and/or market systems programs.
- Knowledge of do no harm, women’s empowerment, and positive youth development frameworks and approaches is encouraged.
- Experience conducting gender analysis and research a plus.
- Experience working with GYSI considerations (constraints and opportunities) in Kenya’s food systems sector is highly desired.
- Fluency in English required.
Kenyan nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Job City Kenya