With over 20 years of experience, our focus is on working with communities living in the informal settlements to improve public health and economic prosperity.
The Head of Programs provides strategic leadership and oversight in the implementation of public health, Education and Livelihoods programs across eight Counties supported by CFK Africa: Nairobi, Kiambu, Kajiado, Machakos, Nakuru, Kisumu, Mombasa, and Kilifi. CFK Africa works in partnership with host communities, Civil Society Organizations, private sector institutions and respective County Governments.
The job holder will manage several projects, ensuring effective systems and processes are in place to support high-quality programming that will guarantee the achievement of project outcomes, management of risks and identification and sharing of best practices and learning from the program.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the incumbent will perform the following duties:
T1. Leadership and strategic management:
- Provide effective strategic leadership and direction to the program department and the implementation of the 2026 Strategic Plan.
- Provide leadership, supervision, and oversight to improve the performance of all project activities, ensuring efficient and effective program implementation including the timely completion of high-quality work plans, budgets, activity schedules and generate accurate reports.
- Develop and provide appropriate implementation strategies for the Program and strategic advice on changes and improvements where needed.
- Provide oversight in the preparation of the project work-plans with clear objectives and achievable benchmarks, reflecting strategic long-term and short-term priorities.
- Regularly review the program strategy to ensure relevance and enhance the Program impact by suggesting appropriate alternative strategies and changes to the technical working groups.
T2. Program management & delivery:
- Ensure all program-based needs and requirements are timely and efficiently shared with support services for best coordinated implementation.
- Establish clear lines of communication with staff within the Program teams, including distinct lines of reporting and authority.
- Work with the Research, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (RMEL) team to ensure high quality programs by reviewing performance metrics and leading the use of data for decision-making.
- Provide technical support in execution of programs and innovative ideas on realization of Program outcomes.
- Ensure monthly and quarterly reporting to the donor and other relevant stakeholders while highlighting implementation status, challenges, and key plans for the following months in an acceptable format or a format agreed/provided by the parties.
T3: Grant management and proposal development
- Generate and provide programs management input to support proposal writing, fundraising and resource mobilization initiatives.
- Train and induct Program Coordinators and to the grants roll-out, transition and management Standard Operating Procedures in compliance with the donor, GoK, CFK Africa and other partners’ acceptable standards and norms.
- Serve as point person on program heavy partnerships or as designated by the Executive Director.
- Ensure timely and accurate reporting on all program heavy grants and partnerships.
- Maintain respectful relationships with the donors and partners and cultivate a culture of respect for donor funds.
T4: Management of Staff:
- Provide effective supervision of staff in the department and ensure smooth coordination and management of day-to-day activities of the department.
- Conduct mid- and end-of-year evaluations of Program Coordinators and ensure all other staff are evaluated by appropriate supervisors.
- Facilitate training and capacity building of staff in program management.
- Support in the recruitment, selection, motivation, and retention of talent staff in the department
- Establish effective communication within the department and the wider organization with clearly defined communication channels, lines of reporting and authority.
T5: Financial management and operational compliance:
- Promote, uphold, and model commitment to the efficient use of donor resources. Ensure compliance with all grants, including financial tracking and oversight of budgets, administration, and reporting.
- Approve program expenditures, budget adjustments, and cost modification requests.
- Ensure operational standards of the programs are maintained leading to acceptable audit performance.
- Support capacity building of the program staff to strengthen the organizational practices that result in successful financial and operational audit scores and take lead in the implementation of audit recommendations as per the findings.
Knowledge, skills and qualifications:
- Minimum of BA, MA/MPH/M.Ed. preferred. Post graduate qualifications in Project Management, Leadership will be an added advantage.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in relevant field-based project management experience required.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in managing complex projects, donor funds, including multi-county grants.
- Experience in project design, proposal writing and information management.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience of managing or leading a team of professional staff and a range of stakeholders.
- Compensation is dependent upon on qualifications and experience. CFK Africa offers a competitive benefit package.
- Job City Nairobi