The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental and non-profit organization, founded in 1956, that works in more than 35 countries around the world. DRC has been operating in Somalia for more than twenty years, where we assist returnees, IDPs and displacement-affected communities in all three regions (Somaliland, Puntland, and Central and Southern Somalia) through protection, service delivery and livelihoods activities to enhance their self-reliance and expand opportunities for a dignified life. DRC provides both humanitarian assistance and longer-term development support to respond to the needs of communities affected by acute crisis as well as those in protracted displacement situations. In the past year, DRC’s strategic focus has shifted towards more durable solutions-oriented programming, linking displacement affected communities to longer-term initiatives to build resilience and recovery.
Overall Purpose of the role
The livelihood officer under the overall supervision of Restore Project Team Leader (Livelihoods Team Leader) and Area Program Managers is responsible for facilitating the planning and implementation of SomReP-RESTORE at the community level and will ensure that all proposed objectives and targets are achieved and reported. S/he will mobilize community and provide guidance on good practices related to Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLA), community managed Microfinance Institution, facilitate establishment of saving groups, delivers trainings on business management skills and life skills.
· Facilitate the conduction of community entry activities including gender climate vulnerability capacity analysis (GCVCA) in target villages to define community gaps, existing capacity and provide basis for planning.
· Customize SomReP-RESTORE implementation strategies and work plans (annual/quarterly/monthly) to ensure effective implementation of VSLA & BDS activities in target locations as outlined in detailed implementation plan. This includes, PSP model, Push-Pull market system, PMERL.
· Facilitate the identification, formation and capacity building of local structures (VSLA, IGA groups, livestock marketing groups/cooperatives, financial institutions and marketing groups) in the target villages to smoothly deliver program interventions.
· Facilitate beneficiary identification in consultation with communities & local leaders
· Identify technical capacity gaps and problems faced by the beneficiaries and Village Agents and train them on good practices and innovations related to Village Savings and Loans, BDS, marketing cooperatives/ organization.
· Coach and mentor the Village Agents for effective facilitation/support of VSLA, IGAs and BDS activities
· Strengthen the capacity of partners – local government, associations and cooperatives in implementation and managing of VSLA, IGAs, VST and BDS activities
· Facilitate organization of exposure/exchange visits and any other events for the beneficiaries to foster learning and experience sharing.
· Prepare periodic project reports (monthly, quarterly, annual) and other reports requested.
· Assist that the knowledge, experience and lessons learned on the projects implementations are documented, validated and disseminated to the donors and communities through communication, workshops and meetings.
· Monitor and evaluate DRC SomReP-RESTORE activities through regular field visits by conducting regular community meetings to maintain progress.
· Ensure all the livelihood activities adhere to CHS guidelines and Comply child protection principles
· Perform any other tasks assigned to him/her by supervisor
Experience, Educational qualifications & technical competencies
· Minimum of 3-5 years’ relevant experience on resilience and livelihood activities in post conflict areas
· Have hands-on experience on community Micro-finance, business facilitation skills, VST and SME
· University degree, preferably in Economics, Agricultural Economics, Rural development or similar social science discipline from a recognized institution of higher learning
· Adequate skill on Market and value chain development skills
· Experience in working with local communities, community mobilization and coordination with local authorities.
· Demonstrated excellent communication and interpersonal skills-Good facilitation skills
· Solid experience (minimum of 3 years) from working in pastoral, agro-pastoral and peri-urban livelihood zones in Somalia or Somaliland context
• Fluency in written and spoken Somali & English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
· Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process
· *Collaborating: You are a strong networker and enjoy working with many different types of stakeholders, you involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.*
· *Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while balancing the role of advisor and taking leadership*
· *Communicating: You write and speak effectively and honestly and display political and cultural sensitivity, including ability to adapt well to local cultures*
· *Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.*
Availability: July 2019
Duty station: Dolow
Reporting to: Livelihood Team Leader
Duration: 6 Month contract with possible extension
The position is open to Nationals ONLY
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, color, race, marital status or other protected characteristics.
Qualified candidates are invited to access the full job description and the requirements for this position under vacancies at www.drc.dk. Please submit applications online using this link by 19th June, 2019.
- Job City Dolow