World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
National Community Engagement Data Assistant
Ref No: 1900659
Contractual Arrangement: Special Services Agreement (SSA)
Contract duration: 6 months
Purpose of the Position
- Nigeria continues to make strides in polio eradication, however, the resurgence of the circulating Vaccine Derived Polio Viruses type 2 (cVDPV2) is posing a challenge mainly due to high immunity gaps due to low demand for routine immunization.
- The national government along with development partners are currently implementing various strategies to address the challenges of immunity gaps, which include engagement of communities through their leaders to ensure all eligible children completed 5 immunization visits as per schedule.
Description of Duties
Under the overall guidance of the WHO country office representative and over all supervision of IVE focal point and guidance of the NPO Routine Immunization/EPI Communication Specialist, the Community Engagement Data Assistant will carry out the following specific task:
- Collaborate with appropriate partner teams, Ministries of Health (MoH), to establish the CE data management and reporting systems required to support the implementation of Communication / community engagement
- Represent WHO as needed in meetings and conferences where CE data are presented or discussed.
- Ensure appropriate interactions with counterparts in Ministries of Health, national, partners and others to enable the sharing and processing of CE data to meet the needs of national and program-wide data review committees.
- Support the design and implementation of CE mobile-based/ODK data collection as well as data use for action as per the programmatic need of government, partners, and within WHO
- Develop CE data systems and related standard operating procedures and support in-country partners (MoH and partners) to enable Communication / community engagement data to flow as needed.
- Develop and implement approaches to clean communication / community engagement data, using completeness, internal consistency and logic checks; automate the generation of Communication / community engagement data quality reports; ensure systematic follow-up of data irregularities.
- Verify Communication / community engagement data quality (completeness, timeliness), identify gaps in health information management, recommend and monitor progress with corrective actions.
- Provide technical input and technical review of Communication / community engagement data management plans from partners.
- Provide trend and detail analysis of the social data during IPDs/OBRs.
- Support and participate in field activities designed by the MoH and partners to optimized routine immunization activities.
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
- Essential: University degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Social Sciences, Development Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research
- Desirable: Advanced university degree in the Social/Behavioural Sciences, (Social Sciences, Development Studies, Anthropology, Psychology, and Health Education) with emphasis on strategic communication planning for behaviour development, social mobilization, participatory communication, and research.
- At least 2 years’ experience in health related data management.
- Experience in quality collection, analysis, dissemination, and use of health information for program planning and management.
- Experience in database development.
- Working knowledge of statistical application programs (EPI INFO, SPSS, STATA etc.) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, QGIS etc.)
- Previous related work experience in the UN or other International Development Agencies, Training on DHIS2 platform.
Use of language skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English
- Desirable: Working knowledge of Hausa Language
Specific skills required:
- Computer literacy especially proficiency in MS Word and MS Excel.
- Basic knowledge of ICT, programming, mobile and web based data technology
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures Demonstrated abilities for team-work.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different background
- Producing results
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
- Communicating in a credible and efficient way
- Moving forward in a changing environment
- Communicating in a credible and effective way;
- Fostering integration and team work
- Job City Abuja