Chemonics seeks an Operations and Security Manager for the USAID Empower Southern Africa (ESA) project. ESA is a 5-year regional program that covers South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini, Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Madagascar, Comoros and Sao Tome and Principe. The primary purpose of ESA is to increase the availability of, access to, and use of affordable, reliable, sustainable and clean energy in Southern Africa in order to reach measurable development outcomes. Measurable development outcomes include economic growth, reducing poverty, improving livelihoods, and increasing inclusive access to electricity-enabled services in such areas as health, education, sanitation, and food security. This position will be based in Pretoria, South Africa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people and communities around the world.
- Oversee project procurement and procedures for developing and releasing tenders, evaluating, and selecting vendors, overseeing contract performance and maintaining control of project inventory
- Supervise and lead project human resources management, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and termination (as necessary) of personnel
- Support the achievement of the overall project goals as required to ensure project performance
- Facilitate the use of tools and systems required for the planning, implementation, tracking, reporting and quality control of the program’s operational and administrative activities.
- Coordinate with the Home Office on all compliance issues
- Analyze and streamline processes in the field office, provide training and capacity-building to project staff on an ongoing basis on project administration and implementation
- Coordinate employees’ performance management, assessment, and improvement initiatives
- Coordinate various employee relations initiatives, including new employees’ orientation, exit interviews, staff morale events, etc.
- Coordinate training and other staff development initiatives when needed
- Liaise with regional offices and home office on HR related issues
- Provide guidance and counseling to staff on HR related issues
- Provide leadership, strategic guidance, and management for special security requirements. These include but are not limited to: general and facility security assessments; event security; security for staff traveling in and around South Africa; support for regional assessments and/or project movements in risk areas; and any situation that might threaten the safety of staff and operations
- Keep up to date on evolving in-country security situation. Circulate security updates to relevant in-country staff
- Manage security subcontractors and optimize the subcontractor’s performance with actions that include inspections and audits, ensuring compliance with requirements defined in the subcontract SOW, and oversight to ensure effective and efficient use of resources
- Serve as the field office focal point for all security matters, including ownership of and updates to the field security manual, liaising with the home office security management unit, ensuring security protocols are followed, reviewed, and implemented in the project office
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance and Operations
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, international relations, management, business, finance, or relevant field is required. Master’s degree preferred
- Strong contextual knowledge of the security environment in South Africa
- Minimum three years’ experience with a USAID-funded project is strongly preferred
- Demonstrated ability to establish and develop working relationships and a high level of trust with public/private organizations
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with culturally diverse staff
- Demonstrated versatility, leadership, and integrity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Please submit an application via email to [email protected] by November 30th, 2023. No telephone inquiries, please. Chemonics will contact finalists.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
Chemonics values the protection of your personal data. If you are in the European Union, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process personal data.
- Job City South Africa